4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 12:09 PM by Aya Elzarka

Constructing a new table out of different excel files

Aya Elzarka

I have different excel files each for some monthly aggregations of different ad networks. So file 1 for ad network 1 and contains several measures as columns. The rows are for different channels like iOS, Android,...

Now I want to analyse these data together in Tableau. I set out and used inner joins between the files so I got one table as the data souce whose column headers are as follows:

Category(the inner join between them)-measure1 for ad 1 - .... measure 1 for ad 2....

These measures are of course similar (at least some of them), i.e. their definitions.

Now the operations I want to do in steps are something like:
      1- Calculating totals
      2- Then constructing a new table out of these totals: probably I will need to e.g. make a new A measure field containing the total A of ad net 1 , ... . And a new dimension field containing the names of these ad networks.
      3- Then making graphs out of this table.

I started to read about table calculations but I think they are not for what I want to do. So I would like to know clues as to how I will need to handle this to search for the right terms. I appreciate your advanced knowledge.

Thank you for the supportive community..

• 1. Re: Constructing a new table out of different excel files
          Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Aya,

If you could attach a mock file as the excel file or workbook, we can show you to handle it. Yes, it is possible to achieve your desired result. Thank you

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Constructing a new table out of different excel files
            Aya Elzarka

Hello Sherzodbek,

Thank you so much. This will be great of course,

Please find the workbook attached.

By the way, my original files are csv not excel.

• 3. Re: Constructing a new table out of different excel files
              Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Aya,

I can did a quick and basic calculation, but you can do different calculations once you get idea. See pic below and let me know if that is what you are looking.

Also, i have attached workbook for your reference.

What i did was to create a simple calculation by adding each measure and calling them total xxx. Since you have nulls, i have to use ZN to add them as 0 otherwise you will get everything as Null. Since you are joining all other data sources to Sheet1, now you can use dimension from Sheet.

I hope I was able to answer your question.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Constructing a new table out of different excel files
                Aya Elzarka

Hi Sherzodbek,

Thank you so much for really kind and quick response, and this educational workbook that is useful for me indeed as  I am a starter

These are direct calculations of the data, but what I mean to do is something more tricky: a table that contains a new dimension consisting of the names of the tables ( please see the photo below as I changed the names of the tables from sheet1,... to AdNetwork1, ..., that is, the meaningful categories that I wish to have and that are actually the names of the files  )  and that I will put in the row shelf, and a new measure MEASURE 1 that contains the values of the fields measure 1 in the first table and measure 1 in the second table, ... etc. and that I will use it in the column shelf.

The desired result:

Or, something like this, if I compute totals:

Thank you and best wishes..