6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 11:13 AM by Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Top 12 Calulcation Question

Trish Frentress

Again, I'm working on my final and got 90% of the information I need, but now I need to extract the top 12 from a fixed and top 12 from a dynamic worksheet.

I'm attaching an image of the working spreadsheet but not sure how to only show the TOP 12 "WID". I tried add calculated field but it does not look anything like what where were taught. Can anyone assist me? Please?Help1.JPG

• 1. Re: Top 12 Calulcation Question
          Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Trish,

You need to create a parameter for WID and use it as the filter.

Then you have to create a set called WID Set and bring it to Filter box.

If you can't make it work, you can do WID set by using By Field / Top / WID Filter / by  WID / Count or CountD
          By using the filter, you can change your top n to any number between 1 and 20 (in my example but you can change it). i hope it helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Top 12 Calulcation Question
            Trish Frentress

Thank you so much, I knew it was there somewhere! Your first suggestion would only give me the top 8 even though I said 12... I couldn't get the WID Set to go to the filter marks card... but from what you told me I was able to add WID to the filter shelf and doing the By Field / Top 12 / ModelProfits_PostConvYr SUM.  Then I created the WID Set from that filter. Now I can add it to all my worksheets for my dashboard!  Thank you again.

• 3. Re: Top 12 Calulcation Question
              Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Trish,

I am not really sure why it gave you only 8 rows, but if you could post your workbook I can look at it why. If you are okay with set and it does work for you, then can you please mark it as correct answer so that others can also benefit  if they also have such questions. Thank you

Sherzod

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Top 12 Calulcation Question
                Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Trish,

Could you please see attached file where I have applied Top N by sales parameter and set. Once you see workbook it should make sense better. Please let me know if you have a question. I use version 10. FYI

Sherzod

or see picture below:

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Top 12 Calulcation Question
                  Trish Frentress

It might have something to do with me having a FIXED set of fields for original assumptions and another set for DYNAMIC variables. I'm attaching my final workbook so you can take a look. Sorry in advance it seems to be VERY messy, I'm sure there are way better ways of doing all that. I plan to take more tutorials on tableau.com after this course is over.  Thank you again for all your help.

• 6. Re: Top 12 Calulcation Question
                    Sherzodbek Ibragimov

I made few changes to your work:

1) Data type should be integer not float, then you will get right options as below:

2) Select parameter that you are going to use. You had top - 12, but should be selected ProfitablePro_Dyn:

Also, see attached file for few changes. Make to use WID Set where you need it for sure because I see you used it in other sheets, so any time you apply Top N, it will also apply to any sheet that has also WID Set on filter. FYI.