2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 7:46 AM by Anders Nielsen

Using data from a REST API without caching it

Anders Nielsen

Hi all,

I'm trying to build reports that rely on two data sources: A SQL Server and an internal REST API. I've written an interactive web data connector that lets you select a date range of data to pull from the REST API, then passes it to Tableau.

As it turns out, I probably should have done more research before developing the web data connector since business requirements dictate that it is out of the question to cache the data from the REST API on the Tableau server for any extended period of time. I was hoping/expecting to be able to use the web data connector in a 'live' fashion (displaying the interactive WDC page to the user every time a worksheet/dashboard needed data from it, then having Tableau forget the data when the session was over).

However, it seems that the only way to use WDC data is to let Tableau store it in an extract. Furthermore, it seems impossible to get Tableau to display the interactive page to the user. So as far as I can tell, using a web data connector (or even Tableau in general) to generate these particular reports is looking impossible. Is that true or am I missing something?

The target environment is Tableau Server. Thanks in advance.