5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 9:17 AM by Shinichiro Murakami

Creating a table of calculations with multiple discrete dimensions as rows

Victor Bartash

Hello! I'm new to the community and to Tableau, and would appreciate your help solving something that's currently stumping me 

I've attached sample data so can see what my data source looks like. Basically it is a spreadsheet of applicants with columns of information about them (e.g. Race, Income, Gender etc. etc.)

The first thing I'm trying to do is to calculate the rejection rate of across applicant groups (e.g. Race, Income, Gender etc. etc.). In excel, this would be done by creating a pivot table and counting the number of applicants who fall into the "Rejected" stage and filtering by group.

I would also like to calculate application rate, which would be calculated, for example, for race by counting the total number of white candidates divided by the total number of applicants - and so forth for each race/ethnicity.

Lastly, I'd like to calculate the difference between application rate and rejection rate, and display these three fields (rejection rate, application rate, and the difference) in one table, with the rows displaying the difference groups. Something like this:

GroupRejection RateApplication RateDifference (Delta)

Race/Ethnicity
      - White

- Black/African-American

-Latinx/Hispanic

-Etc.

-White %

-Black/African-American %

-Latinx/Hispanic %
      -Etc.

-White %

-Etc.

- White %

-Etc.

Income

-<$50,000

-Etc

-<$50,000 %

-Etc

-<$50,000 %

-Etc

-<$50,000 %

-Etc

-Male

-Female

-Male %

-Female %

-Male %

-Female %

-Male %

-Female %

Etc.A%......

Suffice it to say I've tried a bunch of different ways but can't figure it out.

Is something like this possible in Tableau? And if so, any ideas how I would go about doing this?

Thanks!!

-Victor