8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2016 11:25 PM by shine.divakaran

HA deployment questions

Jack May

We're upgrading from a single-node, 16-core server environment to an HA configuration. I have a lot of questions!!!

We'll be configuring the environment with

1 F5 Load balancer

1 8-cpu primary server

1 8-cpu backup primary server

2 16-core worker nodes

All servers are Virtual with dedicated resources (not shared).

We already have one 16-core server that we'll deploy as one of the workers, and we're told we can get three more 8-cpu servers right away, but we'll have to wait to bring the second worker up to 16-cpus.

My first question is Can I deploy this with the two 8-cpu primaries, one 16-core worker and one 8-core worker? Will that work until the the Infrastructure team adds 8 more CPU's to the second worker?

My second question is: do all four need to be added to the Load Balancing pool, or are JUST the primary servers in the load balancing pool and the primaries do the load balancing between the workers?

Thanks very much,

Jack May

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

• 1. Re: HA deployment questions
          Mark McGhee

Hi Jack,

In regards to your first question, I'm going to assume that you have a core license?

If so, you're backup primary won't count against the license and your primary won't either depending on what services it's running.  For example, outside of the base services that are required to run on every node in the cluster if it's only running the gateway service it won't count.

If for example, your license is for 32-core but at the moment you'll only be using 24-cores that will be fine.   It would be the reverse situation that would be a problem.

Also, in regards to load balancing typically any node running the Gateway service you'd want to take part in load balancing.

• 2. Re: HA deployment questions
            Jack May

Great, thank you. Yes we're licensed for 32 cores. I know we'll be ok within our licensing, I'm asking whether a deployment will WORK if the workers don't match, i.e. one 16 core worker and one 8-core worker. You didn't call that out, so I'd like to assume that's fine, but I don't like to assume. :-)

• 3. Re: HA deployment questions
              vishwanath Pendyala

Hi Jack

My first question is Can I deploy this with the two 8-cpu primaries, one 16-core worker and one 8-core worker? Will that work until the the Infrastructure team adds 8 more CPU's to the second worker? - Yes, you can deploy,the sum to your license core should not exceed your total cores if you are even lesser than that it is fine.

My second question is: do all four need to be added to the Load Balancing pool, or are JUST the primary servers in the load balancing pool and the primaries do the load balancing between the workers? - Add the servers wherever Gateway is configured in your server ( if you are running gateway on primary alone than configuring primary is sufficient.)

Thanks

Vishwa

• 4. Re: HA deployment questions
                Mark McGhee

The workers don't need to match though you may want to monitor CPU/memory usage on the 8core worker until it's been upgraded to 16 cores.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: HA deployment questions
                  Jack May

This is great, thank you. I have a followup question: when I install the primary servers it prompts me for a license key. Do I add my product key to the primaries? I know the primary cores won't count against the license if I configure it with only the gateway and cache service, do I have to put my product key/license key on the primaries anyway?

Thanks so much for getting me through this.

• 6. Re: HA deployment questions
                    shine.divakaran

Correct.

• 7. Re: HA deployment questions
                      shine.divakaran

Mark is right, a suggestion you would need to design and implement your worker nodes allocation based on Viz and Extracts workloads

• 8. Re: HA deployment questions
                        vishwanath Pendyala

Yes, primary machine only maintains the license information,  worker

installations doesn't ask for you any key.

1 of 1 people found this helpful