3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 6:56 AM by Jeff Strauss

Single Data Source for Calculations / Groups

Simon Gentile

Hi.

Is there a way to have a singular data source so that if we added members to a group or calculated field then all the workbooks attached to it would refresh accordingly.

Currently if I try to edit a calculated field in a workbook it will only allow me to edit a copy, therefore I'd have to go into every book and replicate the group.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Single Data Source for Calculations / Groups
          Jeff Strauss

absolutely.  You can take the datasource and publish it to the TS data server feature.

And then in order to connect to it from many workbooks, use the TS connection type.  When you connect, you can replace all the local copies with this one via the data menu.

• 2. Re: Single Data Source for Calculations / Groups
            Simon Gentile

Thanks Jeff. That's a start but not quite answered the question. I'll try to go into a bit more detail, I can't share any workbooks though.

We have a whole suite of workbooks published to the server which use the same data source in this way. They are published Extracts with nightly refresh schedules.

So within these workbooks are certain custom groupings defined by Calculated Fields. Occasionally the powers-that-be decide to add or remove members from the custom group so we have to go into every workbook and alter the calculated field

What we would like to be able to do is edit the group in a central location so that all the other workbooks attached to it will update accordingly. At the moment it will only allow me to edit a copy of the calculated field and not replace all references to it across the whole server

as I see it I'd still have to go into each workbook, create a copy, alter the formula, replace the references and republish the workbook. Which is painstaking in the least.

I could keep a copy of the data source disconnected from the server, make the changes there and then overwrite the data source on the server but then I lose all the custom aliases and in some cases parameter connections for some reason?

• 3. Re: Single Data Source for Calculations / Groups
              Jeff Strauss

that's the beauty of the data server.  You can create groups / calcs / etc in the datasource, publish it up to server, and then all the workbooks point at this datasource.  As groups evolve (within the published datasource), the workbooks will reflect this.

Watch this video:  Data Server | Tableau Software