3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 2:39 AM by Hareesh Kumar

Sorting not working when filtering across related data sources

Parker Dillon

I am using the new filter across related data sources feature (http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/v10.0/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#filter_across_datasources.html) and having some issues with sorting. I have attached 2 workbooks that showcase the issue. The first (Filter Related Datasource.twbx) uses the Superstore and Coffee Chain data sources. On the Superstore sheet, I applied a state filter of California and apply it to worksheets > all using related data sources. On the Coffee Chain sheet, I filter on state, and California is applied from the Superstore sheet flows through. After adding Product and Sales to the sheet, and sorting descending on SUM(Sales), it still does not display the Products in the correct sort order. The second workbook (Unrelated Filter.twbx) uses just the Coffee Chain data source, filters for California, applies the same sort on Products, and it works fine.

Can someone explain to me what is going on here? Am I doing something wrong? I know sorting in tableau is somewhat counterintuitive and there are several 'hacks' to get around it, but I have not been successful in getting the sort working. 2 other things to mention, I am using 2 data extracts that are published to a tableau server, so I can't join, and I do NOT want to blend.