2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 2:44 PM by Sean Mullane

Time-varying advanced alerts v9.3

Sean Mullane

We have an advanced alert that is set to go out daily on a schedule. We would like to make the alert go out only after a db load has finished. I know we can use the presence of data in the vizalerts view to control whether an alert goes out. But to my knowledge using this alone would just skip sending the alert that day and try again at the prescribed time the next day. We want it to go out every day at whatever time the data is ready. It seems we'll need to use a poke from tabcmd to the "Run Now" command for the schedule.

The main question here is how to we make sure it goes out only once? Can a schedule be set to "never" or is there another way to ensure that it doesn't go out once on the schedule and a second time on the poke? I suppose we could use the presence or absence of data to control this. Are there other options?

Thanks,

Sean

• 1. Re: Time-varying advanced alerts v9.3
          Matt Coles

Hi Sean. You'll need the data describing when db loads complete, with a date/time representing the completion time. Connect to that data, filter it to a relative date of "Last Hour" (for example), then subscribe to it on an hourly VizAlerts schedule. Now your trigger view will have data in it if the db load completed in the previous hour, and it will run. If you aren't satisfied with it running up to an hour later than the db load actually completes, you can tighten the relative date window down and increase the schedule cadence. After the db load completes, and the alert fires, it will not fire again until the next db load (that is, until the date/time field occurs within the last relative time interval again). This mechanism is one of the most critical techniques used for most of our own VizAlerts to avoid continual duplicate alerts going out.

Triggering a schedule via tabcmd should have no effect on VizAlerts, unfortunately, because it's only looking for the scheduled next run time, and comparing that to when it recorded that it last ran the alerts on that schedule.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Time-varying advanced alerts v9.3
            Sean Mullane

Matt,

You have saved me some time trying the tabmd option. I would have tried that first. I'll look for or create a source of when the db loads complete instead and try that method.

Thanks,

Sean