4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 8:16 AM by Bob Gale

Mobile vs desktop access - postgres repository

jegan.sivaraj

Is it possible to identify if a user logged in through the mobile application vs through their desktop browser?

I looked at http_requests but did not find any useful information. The mobile_enrollments table looked promising but I guess this is just the users who have installed the app?

Has anyone tried to look for this data? Any help is appreciated. We are on the 9.3.3 version.

Thank you,

Jegan

• 1. Re: Mobile vs desktop access - postgres repository
          Russell Christopher

http_requests.user_agent actually provides the Browser / App being used to access the server, so I'd think it would get you what you need. Did you miss that field, or is there some reason why it won't work for you? Other than that, you're probably going to need to parse logs, which is no fun.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mobile vs desktop access - postgres repository
            jegan.sivaraj

Hi Russell,

I skimmed through and missed that. Here is a sample of the results from User Agent. I'm guessing the third and fourth rows are mobile access.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2;)
            Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
            Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 9_3_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile
            Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_3_5 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/13G36 TableauMobile/9.3.3.49.0
            Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_11_3) AppleWebKit/601.4.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0.3 Safari/601.4.4
            Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko)
            python-requests/2.7.0 CPython/2.7.9 Windows/2012Server
            Python-urllib/2.7
            Tabcmd/9.3, Build 9300.16.0606.1812; OS Windows Server 2012 R2, version 6.3
            Tableau/49.0 CFNetwork/758.5.3 Darwin/15.6.0
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mobile vs desktop access - postgres repository
              Russell Christopher

Yes. As I recall there are several 3rd party websites that have attempted to document what / who all the agent strings are. There are likely more possibilities than the ones you happen to have you in your server's table at this moment, but you should be able to capture the lion's share using the web sites and "your brain" to read the strings

• 4. Re: Mobile vs desktop access - postgres repository
                Bob Gale

You can also tap into some external Python libraries to parse this data. I recently did some work and this and wrote it up in a blog post. See Adventures in Tableau Server device type analysis.