1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 11:27 AM by alhassan.mohammed

Configuring Multiple Geographical Data for Maps

Juan Ramón de Arana

I have a project in mind and would like some suggestions about how to go about it.

I would like to plot the different spatial locations throughout time--cities, provinces, regions, countries--which are included in a corpus of contemporary novels. My ultimate goal is to see to what extent these novels have become more or less "globalized".

Ideally, I would like the resulting map to be animated, so that we can observed the evolution of these narrative spaces evolve throughout time.

But, the first hurdle I am encountering is that I don't know how to create my data considering: that, first, one than more geographical location can be part of the same novel; and, second, that not all spaces will be equally important in the same novel. Thus, for example, I would like to create some sort of hierarchy in case a novel emphasizes certain locations more over other.

The attached file shows columns for the year of publication, the author's name, the work's title; and, then I have City1 and Country2; and, City2, Country2. Some novels limit their plot to one location; others include several locations. But, as I say, there should be a hierarchical order--hence, the City1/ Country1 (more important), and City2/Country2, and so on.

Since I don't include longitude and latitude information, Tableau will assign it, but as far as I can see, Tableau will place Paris in Texas, instead of France.

The questions I have are:

1. Do I need to add to my data the longitude and latitude information for *each* of the locations (city, province, region, country)?

2. What do I need to do to the data so that Tableau links the cities to their appropriate countries?

3. How can create a map that visually takes into consideration the spatial hierarchies I mentioned above?

Thank you very much.

JRA