3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 8:52 PM by ra.sae.0

What does date truncation in fiscal year means ?

Elavark Sevvel
      Year date truncationTruncates to the start of the fiscal year. For example, if Fiscal year start is set to May, the date June 1, 2004 would become May 1, 2004.
      Quarter date truncationTruncates to the start of the fiscal quarter. For example, if Fiscal year start is set to July, the date June 1, 2004 would become April 1, 2004.

I don't understand the above lines. Can you please help me to understand more ?

Thanks,

Elavar.S

• 1. Re: What does date truncation in fiscal year means ?
          ra.sae.0

Hi Elavark,

Tableau has feature to change the Year Start Month to Another month than January. (For all dates in a Data Source or even just a Particular Date Dimension)

Fiscal Year :a year as reckoned for taxing or accounting purposes (Google)

In  Few organizations, they have April as their yearly Start date.

You could follow steps on the below screenshots. See to the attached workbook too.

See to the below screenshot, Date Fiscal and Date Normal are same Field. But for Date Fiscal, I just changed the FIscal start Month to May, i.e saying Tableau to consider May2014 - April 2015 is my organization's Fiscal Year. and not Jan - Dec

Talking about Yearly Truncation, or Quarter Truncation. The Data will be truncated/Cut short/trim to the near Year or Quarter.

Yearly Truncation for Normal dates (Jan-Dec as year), will set your date to January. So Yearly Truncation for a Fiscal year will set to Start of the Year i.e May .

Hope this helps.

Example:

I set the Fiscal Start to April.

Changing the Format to look in date than in words.

Steps to change the Fiscal Start Month:

For my above example, April as Yearly Start, we have the Fiscal Year Start as April

To Change for a Specific Date:

• 2. Re: What does date truncation in fiscal year means ?
            Elavark Sevvel

Thank you so much for the good explanation

• 3. Re: What does date truncation in fiscal year means ?
              ra.sae.0

Great to hear that welcome