3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 2:00 PM by Wesley Magee

Creating Filter from Multiple Measures

Eileen C.

I have a dataset which shows the total graduates of the different high schools over time and the number of total enrollment in different colleges from each high school. I want to create line graph which show total number of high school graduates vs year and add a drop down menu filter which I can choose different universities.  I am attaching a sample worksheet.

• 1. Re: Creating Filter from Multiple Measures
          Wesley Magee

Eileen,

I think I have a solution that will work using a parameterized calc, but it only allows you to see one university at a time or all of them at once. You can pick combinations of universities. My first recommendation, though, would be to pivot the data if you can. Pivoting the backend will result in much cleaner calcs and be much easier. In any case, here are my thoughts:

1. Create a parameter relating each University measure to an integer. It doesn't matter what numbers you use, just as long as your calculation refers to appropriate value.
          2. Then create an associated calculation that will look something like this:
          3. Now replace your SUM(Total Graduates) with the new calculation
          4. Right click your parameter and select "Show Parameter Control". The parameter will now act as a filter by only showing data for what you select.

Let me know if this works for you or if we'll need to approach it a different way.

-Wesley

• 2. Re: Creating Filter from Multiple Measures
            Eileen C.

Thank you!

I was able to create a filter with a drop down menu but the filter is a single value filter. How can change it into a multiple value drop down menu? For example, what if I want to choose only A University and B University from the drop down menu?

• 3. Re: Creating Filter from Multiple Measures
              Wesley Magee

Eileen,

That's the drawback of this approach is that you can't allow multi-select. I miss typed it in my original reply that "You can't pick combinations of universities". You can pre-populate combinations in your parameter (University A + University B), but I'm guessing you have more than a few universities.

-Wesley