14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2017 2:41 PM by Rubaiyat Khan

Discontinued Color Palette?

mark.welsh

First, this seems like a very strange business practice.  Imagine that you have setup many, many views based off of a single color palette that your org has approved and recognizes easily.  Then imagine Tableau discontinues that palette and the only way to get it back is to create a custom one.  Can anyone tell me the business reason for discontinuing palettes?  Why not store it in a section called "old, gross colors we don't like anymore"? 

Beyond that, using the screenshot below, can someone tell me how to get these colors into a custom palette?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
          Nitish Pamarty

Hey Mark,

http://I suppose you are looking at the Temperature Diverging palette. You can create a Preferences.tps file with below text and save it in my tableau repository folder or add the below part if you already have one.

<preferences>

<color-palette name="Diverging Palette" type="ordered-diverging">

<color>#529985</color>

<color>#ffe835</color>

<color>#c26b51</color>

</color-palette>

<preferences>

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
            Benjamin Greene

Follow these instructions (Create Custom Color Palettes) and paste this code into the Preferences file:

<color-palette name="Temperature (Discontinued)" type="ordered-diverging" >

<color>#56948A</color>

<color>#E8D82C</color>

<color>#BA685B</color>

</color-palette>

Then save the file. Close whatever workbooks you have open, then reopen them and you should be able to find the custom color palette at the bottom of the colors list.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
              mark.welsh

Thanks Benjamin - looks like a match!  How did you find the correct colors to use for this?  I was only able to find the beginning and end colors from my old workbooks and they still didn't match. 

• 4. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                Benjamin Greene

To be 100% honest, I don't exactly remember. I did this a while ago for my own personal use and haven't really thought about it since.

However, I THINK that I might have pulled up the Temperature Diverging palette and set it to Stepped Color with 3 steps. And then I would have clicked the green and red endpoints to open up the Select Color menu that tells you their hex codes. If you pull this menu off to the side and then click Pick Screen Color, you can then hover your mouse over the yellow color in the middle to have it tell you that hex code too. Like I said, I'm not sure if that's actually what I did though, since doing these steps just now came up with  #529985, #dbcf47 and #c26b51 as the 3 colors in the palette, rather than the 3 I shared earlier. Just for kicks, I also did this process just now with 5 color steps, and got #529985, #79a163, #dbcf47, #f4bc4e and #c26b51 as the colors.

• 5. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                  Benjamin Greene

UPDATE: Doing this Pick Screen Color process to obtain the hex codes for all the colors in Temperature Diverging when it is set to Stepped Color with 11 Steps makes a custom color palette that is essentially indistinguishable from the original. Hooray for having spare time on a Monday afternoon!

<color-palette name="Temperature (Discontinued)" type="ordered-diverging" >

<color>#529985</color>

<color>#619c77</color>

<color>#719f69</color>

<color>#8caa5d</color>

<color>#b3bc52</color>

<color>#dbcf47</color>

<color>#e5c749</color>

<color>#efbf4c</color>

<color>#eaab4e</color>

<color>#d68b4f</color>

<color>#c26b51</color>

</color-palette>

• 6. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                    mark.welsh

Ok, so you selected 11 steps then got each color.  Nice!  Thanks and glad you had some spare time today!

• 7. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                      Matt Hong

This is incredibly strange from Tableau. Although I am not a fan of it, Temperature Diverging has to be one of the most popular palettes. So many of my clients swear by it.

If you started a post on the Ideas section about bringing old palettes back, I would vote for it. There is no reason for Tableau to discontinue palettes, they can definitely do with more.

• 8. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                        mark.welsh

Yeah, I just can't figure out what the reason for discontinuing a color palette would be.  Add more don't get rid of any. 

I'll check and see if there is an existing idea and go from there. 

• 9. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                          Keith Vertin

I agree with the comments above.  Tableau, keep in mind you have engineers using your product that commonly visualize temperature related data, and you have done away with the temperature diverging palette. The customization instructions are appreciated but this omission has created more work for your user community.  Please bring the temperature diverging palette back in a future release.

• 10. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                            Rubaiyat Khan

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the discontinued Temperature Diverging color palette.

I wanted to give you a little bit of background regarding the color palette choices we made for 10.0. In 10.0, we created some new color palettes, updated some old color palettes, and discontinued some old color palettes. Our old color palettes have been around for a long time; we made these updates to ensure all our 10.0 palettes are elegant and sophisticated, and are designed for both visual perception and beauty.

If a workbook is already using an older discontinued palette, for backward compatibility, we remember and display those colors. We do not update the colors of an existing workbook to ensure that your workbooks don't start looking different when you upgrade Tableau.

For those of you who want to continue using the Temperature Diverging color palette, I have created a custom color palette with its exact colors:

<color-palette name="My Custom Temperature Diverging Palette" type="ordered-diverging" >

<color>#529985</color>

<color>#79A163</color>

<color>#DBCF47</color>

<color>#F4BC4E</color>

<color>#C26B51</color>

</color-palette>

You can use instructions from this article to incorporate this custom palette into your preference file: Create Custom Color Palettes

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Rubaiyat Khan, Senior Product Manager, Tableau

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                              Shawn Wallwork

While I've marked this post as 'Helpful', it is not at all helpful in the right way. Color temp palette was one of my favorites; I've used it a lot! And had thought I would continue to use it for a long time. Sorry if you do not consider it beautiful or sophisticated. But I consider it both beautiful & functional. And making us jump through additional hoops to use it is, well a bit absurd.

If you want to eliminate time-tested 'palettes' then make the creating of custom palettes easy and integrated within the Desktop product. You know the drag-n-drop and drop-down interactions and pop-up dialog boxes like you tout in your promos of your products, right? Why are you asking me to do XML or whatever editing? And text editing of your 'tps' file? This is drag-n-drop?

Stop taking things away from us (this palette, and support email, for instance) and then trying to convince us we are somehow better off! We are most definitely NOT; but your department & your department's budgets & your company are.

You know we see through you, right? End of rant.

'Still love your software!'

(But the more and more you become like every other software company; the less and less we actually care about your software. And I start looking for something else.)

--Shawn

• 12. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                                Rubaiyat Khan

Thank you for the feedback, Shawn - it is very useful for us to understand how interested customers are in using the Temperature Diverging color palette.

I will do some investigation and get back to you with whether we can do something to make this easier.

Sincerely,

Rubaiyat Khan, Senior Product Manager, Tableau

• 13. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                                  Shawn Wallwork

Thanks for your response Rubaiyat! I look forward to the results of your investigation. Also happy to be your first 'follower':

Please, please, become more involved in our Forums Community. We really are semi-nice people who want to help you produce/design the absolutely best Tableau products you can. Honestly.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 14. Re: Discontinued Color Palette?
                                    Rubaiyat Khan

Hi everyone,

Based on your feedback, we have brought back the Temperature Diverging color palette. It is available in the Tableau 10.2 release which you can get from here: https://www.tableau.com/new-features/10.2

Sincerely,

Rubaiyat Khan

Senior Product Manager, Tableau