4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 6:17 AM by Adil Mujtaba

Hide tabs based on user groups

Adil Mujtaba

Hello All,

I have a dashboard that contains 6 tabs. Two user groups are accessing the dashboard.

I want to hide 2 tabs for one of the user group, can it be done in Tableau ? I prefer not to publish the dashboard twice for each group.

Best Regards,

Adil

• 1. Re: Hide tabs based on user groups
          Kaushik Mallampati

Hello Adil,

For your query please go through  Manage Permissions

Regards

Kaushik

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hide tabs based on user groups
            sunaina sarah

Hi Adil,

you cannot hide two worksheets from the dashboard .User filter is sheet level only, not dashboard level. Even if you deny  permission on the two sheets at server level, he will be still able to see the denied sheet/tab in the dashboard.

For example : 1: look at the image below. I created 3 sheets/tabs. I denied permission on sheet2 for a particular user (the map sheet). But still he will be able to see it in the dashboard.

For example : 2: If you create a user filter on a particular dimension at sheet level, you may not have any display for that user you r trying to deny in that sheet.But that blank sheet will be displayed for that user in the dashboard. which may not look good at all.It is because you want to use only one dashboard for two different users with different sheet display requirements.

So it is better to create two dashboards separately and apply dashboard level permissions to the two users. so that if user1 logs in he will be able to see only the dashboard which is for him( suppose with all 6 tabs).

If User 2 logs in he will only see the dashboard which is related to him( Suppose with 4 tabs)

Regards

Sunaina

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Hide tabs based on user groups
              Adil Mujtaba

Thanks Sunaina for the sharing,

It will be helpful if tableau adds the feature where we can easily define which tabs are visible to which user group in single dashboard.

• 4. Re: Hide tabs based on user groups
                Adil Mujtaba

Hello Kaushik,

Not sure if you can completely hide a tab for a particular group.

Adil