1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 12:55 AM by Dmitry Chirkov

Not understanding  data source

Scott Stinson

Hi Gurus,

I downloaded a sample workbook (.twb) that has three data sources (.tde) If I ignore the workbook can open each of these data sources and from them create a new workbook this would indicate they are all valid.

If I open the sample workbook I can view the data in any of the worksheets or can create new worksheets. Again this would indicate a valid set of data. However when I go to the data source tab I am prompted to locate an Excel workbook. I located and downloaded a matching workbook but when I point the data source at it I get an error

"Unable to connect to the Microsoft Excel file "D:\Users\Cliff\Documents\Technical Notes\Tableau\R statistics\r_solutions_workbook\Data\R_Tableau_Demo.twb Files\World Bank Indicators.xlsx". Check that you have access privileges for the requested file and that it is not open in another application."

Can someone explain what causes this behaviour?

Thanks

Scott

• 1. Re: Not understanding  data source
          Dmitry Chirkov

Sample workbooks are something that we call "extract based workbooks".

Extracts are TDE files that are created from some live connection and, when you navigate to Data Source tab, Tableau wants to switch to live connection since majority of operations there require live connection (i.e. can't add another table to the join if you are not connected to database).

Hope this makes sense.