4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 9:06 AM by Nick Foley

Issue: Table Calc Filter, cant be used globally.

Nick Foley

In the attached workbook,  im using a Table Calc to show where a customer ranks amongst the other customers in the top viz. This is what the end user wants. It works perfectly.

However, i would like the bottom sheets to also change(filter or hightlight), based on the selection of the customer on the top dashboard.  The issue is that this is using a table calc as a filter and these cant be used globally to other worksheets even off the same datasource.

Is there some type of clever work around here?

Specifically, the table calc is :

LOOKUP(ATTR([Dealer Group Name Level 1]), 0)

• 1. Re: Issue: Table Calc Filter, cant be used globally.
          Michel Caissie

Nick,

Since a table calculation computation is linked to the dimensions in the view, when using it as a filter , it cannot be applied to multiple worksheets.

One workaround is to use a parameter to select the Customer Name.

This is possible if in your real scenario  you only want to select one value at a time,  and if the values of the dimension does not change overtime.

So what you can do , is to create a parameter and populate it with the Customer name values (List - Add from field).

Replace your filter with the following calculation and keep the true values

LOOKUP(ATTR( [Customer Name] = [CustomerParam]), 0)

And select the Customer using the parameter.

Michel

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issue: Table Calc Filter, cant be used globally.
            Nick Foley

Michel, thats great!

Im curious though, there are two additions that would be perfect.

1.  The ability to select more than one customer. This isnt possible in a paramater i dont believe

2.  my customers are in a two level hiearchy.  Company, employee.  Is there a way to have your paramater be set up where you can pick which level you want? For example, start at the company, but then drill down and have a circle for every employee on the graph?

• 3. Re: Issue: Table Calc Filter, cant be used globally.
              Michel Caissie

Unfortunately Nick,

The solution I proposed only allows the selection of a single customer.

If your measures could be computed using LOD it would be simple, but since the Percentile needs to compute on all Customers thus the need of a table calculation on the filter shelf, it brings the limitations you are facing when you need to do multi-sheets filtering.

Parameters will not allow  multi-selection.

Another way to do multi-sheet filtering, is to put the dimensions on which you want to filter in another worksheet, bring this sheet on the dashboard and do the filtering using dashboard actions. But it would not resolve your problem since the Percentile would be computed after this filtering and always return 100%.

So I don't have anything better to offer,  maybe someone else would have a better idea...

Michel

• 4. Re: Issue: Table Calc Filter, cant be used globally.
                Nick Foley

Michel, coming back to this....

I figured out more or less everything, but have one issue.  Your fix, allows me to filter by a customer name.  My dataset has a heairchy.... Company/employee.

I can get it working at a company level, but i need the user to be able to pick their comnpany of interest, and then if they want, a specific employee(optional) and only that employees dot wills how releative to other employees. possible?