4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 8:46 AM by Kyle Boyce

Daily Dashboard Validation....??

Kyle Boyce

Good Morning!,

We have had some issues lately with some data source refreshing/data in general with tableau server. We have yet to be able to define root cause, but the question I have for you is: is there a way that we can validate our data that is on server with the data that we have in production?

Does any other user have a system in place for reconciling the data/numbers?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Daily Dashboard Validation....??

Matt Coles I feel like there may be a hacky way to implement VizAlerts or conditional subscriptions here but I'm not quite sure. Any suggestions?

• 2. Re: Daily Dashboard Validation....??
            Matt Coles

If you're asking whether there is a way to receive automatic notifications if the data differs between what is in your extract and what is in the actual database it pulls from, then yes, VizAlerts will work for this, or the feature it inspired in 10.1, Conditional Subscriptions. The former will require an admin to set up and some special configuration, the latter won't (but you'll need to be running 10.1, which isn't quite out yet!).

• 3. Re: Daily Dashboard Validation....??
              Toby Erkson

Kyle Boyce wrote:

... is there a way that we can validate our data that is on server with the data that we have in production?

Simply and easily?  Short answer is no.

I would think this would be a manual process, comparing the extract results to a live connection result set.  Or where there is a field, like Sales or some type of numerical measure, that could be summed in the extract and in the live version and compared (they should be the same).  This all assumes the data hasn't changed since the extract.

In my experience and with what I've seen in these forums, extracts either work or they don't.  On/off.  Yes/no.  True/false.  So if numbers are off I would look to all forms of filters and -- God forbid! -- you're using Custom SQL then examine that very closely.

• 4. Re: Daily Dashboard Validation....??
                Kyle Boyce

Hey man, thanks! That's a great article. Looking into implement something like this now.

appreciate the direction from all of you! have a great day.