5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 11:31 AM by Mark Fagan

Excluding records based on multiple criteria

Mark Fagan

Trying to figure out the best approach to this.  I want to exclude records to display based on multiple criteria such as a date range and store name.   This will be used to exclude stores that are under remodeling so they do not show in the viz based on a date range.  Should I create a separate table for these exclusions or can I do this in a calculated field?

Any direction would be great!  Thank you!

-Mark

• 1. Re: Excluding records based on multiple criteria
          David Li

Hi Mark, is there a reason you can't just use multiple normal filters?

• 2. Re: Excluding records based on multiple criteria
            Mark Fagan

Being fairly new to the Tableau world I am not sure how to apply multiple normal filters to this scenario. The scope has changed a bit...

Need to show the YTD number but for a weekly number show something else if the store is in this exception table.   Thinking of a table that has all of the stores that are "Remodel" or "Collection" status if a certain date range is selected from the week-ending date parameter that a User selects.  If they are not on the list then display the % from the data source. There could be multiple exception date ranges for the same store throughout the year.

For the example below the table would have 4 columns; store A, date begin 9/11/16, date end 9/17/16, status of "Remodel", this is for week-ending 9/17/16

User selects "week-ending" 9/17/16 from the week-ending date parameter and the following should display:

Store          Weekly     Year-to-date(YTD)

A               Remodel        85%

B               80%               78%         

C               Collection      82%

D               84%               86%

Thanks for your help.

-Mark

• 3. Re: Excluding records based on multiple criteria
              David Li

Do you have sample data or (even better) a packaged workbook you could share? That would make this a lot easier to figure out.

• 4. Re: Excluding records based on multiple criteria
                Mark Fagan

I cannot share the date but will work on a mock-up from the superstore dataset when I can.

• 5. Re: Excluding records based on multiple criteria
                  Mark Fagan

I modified the following to conform to the superstore dataset...

Need to show the YTD sales (second column under each day) but for the daily sales column (first column under each day) show something else if the + [date] combination is in this exception table.   Thinking of a table that has all of the cities that that are "Remodel" or "Collection" status if a certain date range is selected from the year/month/day quick filters that a User selects.  If they are not on the list then display the $ amount from the data source. There could be multiple exception date ranges for the same  [region] + [segment] + [city] combination throughout the year.

For the example below the proposed table would have 4 columns; [region] = "central" + [segment] = "consumer' + [city] = "houston" + [date] begin 12/2/14 and [date] end 12/6/14, status of "Remodel" should display instead of the $303 on 12/3 and $14 on 12/4 but keep the YTD sales in the second column for each day. We want to see the YTD sales but call out exceptions under the [sales] column at the daily level.

The User selects multiple days for December 2014 but we want to filter out 12/3 and 12/4 for central/consumer/Houston as well as central/corporate/Houston for the daily sales since the "exception list" shows that they were under remodel or collection respectively for that time-frame. so 12/3/14 should look like this:

[region]     [segment]     [city]          [sales]            [sales YTD]

Central     Consumer     Houston   Remodel        $34,046

Central     Consumer     Omaha      $2,480           $5,089

Central     Corporate      Houston    Collection      $21,983

I have attached the superstore data that has a similar dashboard to my dataset.

Thank you for taking a look for any recommendations.

exclude sample dashboard.JPG