3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 1:57 PM by . Tableautester

Creating a Month Range Filter Slider

Eileen Lee

Hi Tableau Community,

I need to create a month-range filter in the form of a slider. It might have been discussed in other threads, but please bear with me.

Let's say currently I have a data range based on Rtg(000) from January 2014 to July 2016. I need to create a slider that will

1) always auto-update to the latest month in the dataset whenever it is updated. For e.g. the end marker of the slider is currently at July 2016. When August 2016 data is in, the end marker of the slider will automatically update and move and show August 2016 data.

2) always show latest 24 months of the dataset. So using this example, start marker of slider will be at August 2014 and the end marker of the slider will be at July 2016. When August data comes in, the start marker of slider will be at update and move to September 2014 and the end marker of the slider will be at August 2016.

3) Though it will always show 24 months of data, the slider can accommodate more than 24 months, i.e. from point (2), though the start marker moves to September 2014, users can still move the start marker leftwards to choose August 2014 or even January 2014.

3) Users are able to move the start and end markers of the slider according to preference.

Please guide me on creating such a slider. I have tried using Relative Date Filter but it doesn't seem to auto-update to the latest month without any manual intervention. It also doesn't allow me to define showing only 24 months automatically at any one time.

Thank you. Appreciate your assistance.