1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2016 9:48 PM by Kathryn Bridges

Parameter based on a calculated field

Shikha Handoo

Hello,

I am having a requirement where I need to create a parameter that can alter the value of a calculated field. However, the values that the parameter can take is also dependent on another calculated field. Here is the scenario that I am trying to achieve.

Calculated field A is derived by an expression involving many calculated fields. For example: A= ((B+ C)/D) * E

Also, Calculated field B is itself dependent on some fields. For example B = Sales*Discount. Let us assume some of resulting values of this calculated field are 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000

Now I need to create a parameter that allows me to alter the value of Calculated field A based on x% of the values obtained in Calculated field B.

I created two parameters - one that is pulling values form the calculated field B and one that is altering the percentage. Multiplying these two should give the desired results but i will have to show both the parameters to users to adjust. Can this be achieved by using just one parameter?

Any urgent help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Parameter based on a calculated field
          Kathryn Bridges

Hi Shikha,

I'm a little unclear on why you are using a parameter to pull values from the calculated field B. Parameters are not dynamic, so even if the values from B change when filtered, the parameter won't reflect that change. 

I'm not completely clear on your data, but it sounds like you can just make an equation for A for those values from B

(i.e. if B>=10 then "Outcome1"

elseif B>30 then "Outcome2"

else C end")

And then only have one parameter changing that percentage.

Otherwise, posting a workbook for us to see what you are talking about specifically would be really helpful.

Thanks.