4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 12:11 PM by Suraj Shah

Label mark, only if value is selected

ammanuel.selameab.0

Attached is the workbook I'm working with.

There are no data labels on the viz. However, I would love to add a filter to this viz, such that if a user selects a customer name, data labels are only added to marks for those customers.

Any ideas? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Label mark, only if value is selected
          Suraj Shah

Hi Ammanuel,

I have attached a screenshot. Is this what you are trying to do?

If so, you can drag the 'Revenue', and 'Units Sold' (or whatever you want to show in the label) to the Label shelf. Then click on the 'Label' box and click 'Selected'. This will allow you to show labels only when you select a mark.

Hope this helps.

Suraj.

Label-Selected.png

• 2. Re: Label mark, only if value is selected
            ammanuel.selameab.0

Thanks for your reply.

That's not quite what I'm trying to do. I'd like a user to be able to use a Quick Filter, and apply marks to all marks that meet that filter. The example I provided is actually poor ha, because there are only 3 dots.

But, imagine if there were 5 marks for customer A, 7 marks for customer B, 10 marks for customer C. I'd like to be able to select 'Customer A' from a Quick Filter, and only apply marks to marks that were Customer A , and no labels to Customer B's marks, or Customer C's marks.

• 3. Re: Label mark, only if value is selected
              ammanuel.selameab.0

The attached workbook is a better example of the problem I need help tackling.

• 4. Re: Label mark, only if value is selected
                Suraj Shah

Hi,

I have attached the sample file to this post. I don't think filter is quite the way to do this. This is because, when you filter and select customer A, the other customers won't show up on the view.

However, the better way to do this is, since you have a different color for each customer you can simple click on a customer in the color legend. Also, go back to the Label shelf, and select 'Highlighted' instead of 'Selected'. Now when you click on a legend value (say C), all values of the customer C will be highlighted showing you the text value associated with it. (in this case I added 'Revenue' to Label).

Hope this helps.

Suraj.