3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 9:47 AM by Carl Slifer

I would like to capture historical aggregated data in tableau to be used for a historical reporting.

John Markson

I would like to capture historical aggregated data in tableau to be used for a historical report.  My data source is excel which I replace each time I run my reports.  I have worksheets and dashboards that have aggregated data, but that data is replaced each time I update my data source.  Is there anyway to take a snapshot of this data?

• 1. Re: I would like to capture historical aggregated data in tableau to be used for a historical reporting.
          Carl Slifer

Hi John,

The best way to handle this is going to be doing it outside of Tableau. Tableau is not a database which is what you will need to handle historical data properly. If you have access to SQL (even SQL Express) you will be able to do this in a more succinct and easier manner.  If you;re stuck using excel you're going to need to make copies of the datasource and change the file name so that its a say <FileName>YYMMDD.xls and then you could union all these files together. When you union them together there will be a column that will tell you what datasource it came from.

Tableau can be used create snapshots of data by making tableau data extracts but these are not what you are looking for in this situation.  In summary. If you do not have historical data stored somewhere creating this store in tableau is simply not a great idea / not possible without much difficulty and not the safest way to do so. I'd highly recommend a database of some sort.

Best Regards,

Carl Slifer

InterWorks

• 2. Re: I would like to capture historical aggregated data in tableau to be used for a historical reporting.
            John Markson

Hi Carl,

Could I use MS Access instead of SQL?  Assuming I could get SQL what is the process for creating this summary data?  Would I export the data from the Tableau report into the SQL database?

I wouldn't want to do this in Excel since there are too many records and 12 different files, which would be too much to manage.

Thank you for your response.

John

• 3. Re: I would like to capture historical aggregated data in tableau to be used for a historical reporting.
              Carl Slifer

Hi John,

You could use access, I'm just a fanboy for SQL. The summary data I guess would depend what you're trying to do and what data you already have. You would not export tableau data into sql you would export your excel data into the database. Once its in the database you'd link tableau to that database and work your magic on historical records.

Best Regards,

Carl Slifer

InterWorks