3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 8:27 AM by Michael Hesser

Combine more than 2 excel workbooks together in tableau 10?

James Sansome

Hi there

Is there an easy way of linking more than one workbook excel workbook in tableau.

I work in advertising and am currently trying to make a tableau template of a similar document that was created in excel which accumulates the data from different workbooks to give and overview of the performance of different campaigns which come from different excel workbooks. I think this would be easier and look nicer in tableau but it does not want to create links between the different workbooks and will only display information from one of the workbooks and not any of the others uploaded. I did not have tableau servers so I don't know if that would help. 

• 1. Re: Combine more than 2 excel workbooks together in tableau 10?
          Michael Hesser

Hi James;

In 10.0, you should be able to Add new connections (new worksheets) by clicking here:

• Click the Connection containing the data you need (in this case Wookbook1 or Wookbook2)
          • Now, in the Sheets window (directly beneath Connections), drag the appropriate sheet into the Data Window
          • Set your unions appropriately

You can also add each worksheet independently in its own Data Source sheet and then blend the data using common fields.

Let me know if this works for you!

• 2. Re: Combine more than 2 excel workbooks together in tableau 10?
            James Sansome

Hi Michael

I'm afraid that's what I tried first and tableau does show a link but it does not get displayed in the sheet data for instance there is one field that has initials in one of the columns and this different in each of the workbooks and this is the key I used to link the workbooks with the method above and it does work as a link though when I make a table with the different initials in it only has 2 values, null and one of the initials.

• 3. Re: Combine more than 2 excel workbooks together in tableau 10?
              Michael Hesser

If I understand you correctly, since the initials are different, there is no way Tableau could produce a combined file. In other words, Apples <> Oranges.<> Bananas

I think you need to produce a file linked on a common fields with like values.

If you want to combine all of them together, you can create a linking field called "Linker" with the value "Link" in each field...