1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 6:23 AM by Carl Slifer

Summary worksheet

Austen Robinson

Is their a best approach to creating something like this?

Capture.PNG

all of these totals are in the data but it would seem to me that a bunch of calculated fields are necessary.  Also the layout looks challenging. 

• 1. Re: Summary worksheet
          Carl Slifer

Hi Austen,

Im not familiar with most of those KPIs/Values and since they are mostly showing at 0 its hard to get a good feel. I'd say the usual approach is to not try to duplicate excel work in tableau usually as they are different tools and your goal is to view the data in a more friendly manner than a crosstab (table). We can at least talk about the bookings (I will assume this is the actual value of bookings) and bookings target (the goal). In this I would combine them into a chart called a bullet chart: You can find more about that type here: https://www.interworks.com/blog/ccapitula/2014/12/29/tableau-essentials-chart-types-bullet-graph . Personally I'd leave the distribution off because I like things to be a bit cleaner/neater but Carly has shown them here to allow more information at a single glance

As for the rest you may have as mixture of charts and you may find that the advantage of tableau is not to have all the information in a single line like you see there crammmed together but with the use of a dashboard you might be better able to see distributions and relationships between your items (Gov-Ed, Wholesay, Enterprise Business, etc).  One of the things I'd address here is not what do you want to see (This makes you just read off what you have in excel already) but rather what do you want to be able to do with this dashboard. What decisions is it driving. This tends to let you be more open with your visualisation prospects and build something in Tableau thats not just a replica of excel but instead gives you the dynamic ability to compare different areas against each other, etc.

Best Regards,

Carl Slifer

InterWorks