10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2017 7:09 PM by Jeff D

Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page

Jim Thompson

Often, our Users share views (by forwarding subscription emails or links) with one another. Eventually one of these emails is forwarded to someone that has Tableau access (via Active Directory groups) BUT does not have access to THAT particular site on the Server. When this happens, the "That page could not be accessed" with a "Could Not Enter Site" (see attached jpg) pops up offering a "Site List" that they ARE authorized to access. I shall refrain from commenting on offering the User a list of Sites they ARE authorized to enter that does NOT have the content they were looking for... Anyway...

What I would like to do is edit this page so that I can offer an enhanced description of the situation and a button/link to our standardized Active Directory enrollment request IT support page, and an explanation that would offer a much better User Experience! Right now, this page does not answer any questions, does not offer any solution and leaves the User confused... more confused, I suppose... !

Does anyone have an idea how I can edit this? I cannot seem to find this page in the htdocs page...

We are currently on the 9.x Server

thanks!

jim

• 1. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
          Glen Robinson

Hi Jim

The Error.html file in c:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.3\vizportalclient\public\en

holds the "That page could not be accessed." statement

This can be edited, and updated.

However, when upgrading server this file will be overwritten, so you will need to take a copy prior.

As for adding buttons, etc, sorry I cant help you with that.

BTW this is the english version. Each language will have its own file....

Hope this helps

Glen

• 2. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
            Jim Thompson

Thanks Glen! That's precisely what I needed! The html I can put together! Thank you so much!

Jim!

• 3. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
              Glen Robinson

Good to know.

Could you mark the answer as correct so that others who have this issue will know that there is solution to it.

Thanks

Glen

• 4. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
                Jim Thompson

Glen-- I suppose I need to restart/bounce the server for the changes to take affect since editing this file appears to not make any difference...

Or is it that we have a couple of workers??

Thoughts?

thanks!

jim!

• 5. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
                  Glen Robinson

Hi Jim

If you have a distributed environment, I would make the changes (on the primary)

then do a tabadmin stop, a tabadmin config, then tabadmin start

That should work I think

Glen

• 6. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
                    Jim Thompson

Glen--

So.... after a couple days of "playing" with this, what I've discovered is the best way to edit what we're looking for is to head to the translation support files:

1) Leave the error.html file (referenced above) as shipped with the product. It would appear that this html file in the "en" directory is used as a "template"- so it's less of an html file as a template to stuff parameters into and ship out to the web client. A quick view shows the variable substitutions etc in the error.html file. As such, it's better (for us) to make changes further downstream. Note: This directory also contains other "templates"...

2) The error.html template appears to be driven/populated by the vizportal.js script, which is where I found the template use (for error.html and others) and parameters passed to populate error.html and support for the multiple languages/translation. I (certainly!) made no changes to this super-important js source.

3) However, if you edit the ../loc/en.json translation (support for English) file you can insert the strings you want and they will just flow through to the User. In this file you will find the json name:value pairs, and, specifically the one we're looking for-- "switchSiteFailedUnknown"

4) Edit the value for the specific key (on primary and workers) and perform a system restart (tabadmin restart)

5) Understand that any server update will overwrite any changes you make, so, leave yourself a note...!

6) If you support other languages, obviously, you're going to need to edit the appropriate xx.json files in the loc directory.

=====en.json==========Lots and Lots of strings, then================

"switchSiteFailedSiteLocked": "The site has been locked for a maintenance task. You will be able to enter when the task is finished.",

"switchSiteFailedSiteSuspended": "The site has been suspended. You must be a server administrator to sign in.",

"switchSiteFailedUserUnlicensed": "You are not permitted to sign in to this site. Contact the server administrator.",

"switchSiteFailedUnknown": "Could not enter site. Try again.",    <<<<<<<< Change the string "Could not enter site. Try Again.">>>>>>>>

"switchUser": "Switch User",

======================================

jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
                      Toby Erkson

Jim, I would recommend copying the files that you are changing and put them in a separate directory.  You then modify those pages and keep them in that directory.  Next, copy those modified files to their respective TS (Tableau Server) directories, thus over-writing the originals.  That modifies them to your liking.  Now, have a TS script that will copy your modified files to the TS directories for every time you upgrade.

Here's what I do (same concept of modified file propagation):

My "server_settings.bat" file is like this:

@ECHO OFF
                      REM  by Toby Erkson 20May2013, July2016
                      REM  Set QA Tableau Server settings for high extract environment.
                      REM  No inputs required.

REM Get the installed version
                      SET /p SERVER_VERSION=<"D:\Application\Tableau\Scripts\param_server_version.txt"

ECHO %Stopping server...
                      tabadmin stop
                      REM Updating .TMS maps files...
                      copy /Y "D:\Application\Tableau\Scripts\*.tms" "D:\Application\Tableau\Tableau_Server\%SERVER_VERSION%\vizqlserver\mapsources"

REM Copy images for custom Project displays
                      copy /Y "D:\Application\Tableau\Scripts\ProjectPictures\*.jpg" "D:\Application\Tableau\Tableau_Server\data\tabsvc\httpd\htdocs"

REM Insure queries to pSeries DB2 and MS SQL are Uncommitted Reads
                      copy /Y "D:\Application\Tableau\Scripts\IBM_DB2_pSERIES.tdc" "D:\Application\Tableau\Tableau_Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources"
                      copy /Y "D:\Application\Tableau\Scripts\MS_SQL_Server.tdc" "D:\Application\Tableau\Tableau_Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources"

Notice the "copy" DOS commands at the bottom.  They take modified files and push them to the appropriate TS directory so I don't have to do it manually  

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 9. Re: Customizing the 'That page could not be accessed', 'Could not enter site' Error Page
                        Roman Kovalev

Hi Jim

Great work!

I have some trouble, maybe you can help me. We are making russian localization of Tableau Server 10.2.

We have already taken the following steps:

1. add name:value pairs in ../loc/ru.json

2. copy the ../vizportalclient/public/en folder and rename that copy ../vizportalclient/public/ru

3. tabadmin restart

but it did't affect users' interface. Interface of Tableau Server is english and russian, I mean some objects are in russian and some still in english.

If I translate words in html template file located in ../vizportalclient/public/ru I see changes in interface.

Do you know how to "reload" all html template files so they take russian value from ../loc/ru.json