3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2016 7:03 AM by Nathan Panuco

Tableau Server Invisible Edit Connections

Kazumi Nozawa

I cannot select "edit connections" in tableau server.

Why?

Connections Error.png

This is for editing Authentication and Username.

Authentication and Username.png

Kazumi

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Invisible Edit Connections
          Nathan Panuco

Hi Kazumi!

I believe there are two reasons why the "edit connection" would be disabled on some published data sources: The first reason is because the data source does not have any connection information (like a .TDS file) that has been published to the Tableau Server. The other reason (which looks to be the reason in this case) is because it is a Web Data Connection or WDC. When using WDCs in Tableau Desktop, you are calling on an HTML webpage and taking a snapshot in time for the data on the other end of that URL. Because you must render an HTML page to get the data, Tableau Server is not able to present you the same authentication screen as when going to normal data sources (like SQL or OData or something else). WDCs often have a UI where the user must enter separate credentials, select radio buttons or other activities. Check out this WDC link as an example: Fred WDC - you can see the user must select which data set they want to connect to.

If you want to change the path of a WDC, you'll need to republish it from Tableau Desktop.

Does that answer your question?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server Invisible Edit Connections
            Kazumi Nozawa

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for your response!

At this time, I directly connected my data from Alteryx workflow.  I created web scraping workflow in Alteryx and published it into tableau server.  I still cannot edit my authentication and username.

Live Auth.png

In Alteryx, I am currently using Local Machine and run the workflow from its original location on disk.

Run.png

In Tableau, I am not sure if I should use extract (connect to html) to schedule/refresh data or use live (connect to tde).  Do you think I still need to schedule refreshing TDE in tableau server when I schedule on my local machine running designer in Alteryx? If my data is live, do you think I still need to refresh my data in tableau server?

Thank you,

Kazumi

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Invisible Edit Connections
              Nathan Panuco

Hi Kazumi!

I'm not very familiar with Alteryx but I do know that a .TDE file does NOT contain connection information. You would need to use a live connection (TDS) or an extract with a connection (TDSX). Connecting to a .TDE will not allow edits to connection information since it is just an local copy of the data. Check out this document on file types for more info: Files and Folders

Hope that helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful