3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 7:27 AM by david.dude

Shade between lines when values may be negative

david.dude

I am attempting to create a graph very much like Figure 1, attached below (this graph comes from http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/pdf/studies/2009455.pdf )

I found some very good posts to create a graph just like this (see the "Playfair Solved.twbx" solution at Re: Line/Area Chart plotting for instance). Unfortunately, I have one complication in my data which appear to make all of the solutions using area graphs and white shading unusable--my data may have negative values. For instance, imagine the data in Figure 1 but subtract 200 from every value there (except the Gap values, of course). So the lower values for 1978 and 1982 would be negative and the lower values for the remaining years would be positive. The graph should look absolutely identical but with a shift in the y-axis (150 would now be -50, 200 would now be 0--the x-axis, 250 would now be 50). However, I cannot find any solution that can handle this since the gap transverses the x-axis and area shading stops at the x-axis. Any ideas for how to approach this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Shaded Gap.GIF