6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 6:39 AM by paolo.raia

Linear Graph with two dimensions issue

paolo.raia

Hi,

Version: TABLEAU 9.3

The two tables, below, are driven by the following parameter dropdowns:-

Independently, these work fine and return the correct data.  However, I have been tasked to show these measures on one linear graph by month to show a vis comparison.  By using the CREATED DATE as the month driver, the CASES CLOSED data is skewed for obvious reasons.  How can I achieve this?

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Linear Graph with two dimensions issue
          Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Paolo,

can you provide the sample data set for the same? populate some random figures and share.

-Ashish

• 2. Re: Linear Graph with two dimensions issue
            Mahfooj Khan

I've tried to replicate your scenarios. Let me know If this help.

Option 1: Just create two measure like one is for Case Created and another for Cases Closed. Here I've created on Sales using Order Date and Ship Date. Then drag the your Create Date on columns shelf change it to month. Then drag both the calc measures in rows shelf and use dual axis and sync the axis.

Option 2: using dual axis on both your Created date and Completed Date. Here I've used Order Date and Ship Date.

And created a measure using IF..ELSEIF..ELSE..END condition as per your scenario. Then drag both the dates in columns shelf and change it to month. Using dual axis sync both the dates. Now drag the calculated measure on rows shelf.

Workbook (version 9.3) attached for your reference.

Mahfooj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Linear Graph with two dimensions issue
              paolo.raia

Thank you Ashish and Mahfooj for replying.

Mahfooj: Many thanks for your concise reply, however, I cannot replicate your example.

I have attached an example workbook of what I am trying to achieve:-

- [Table] - shows a small data sample

- [CasesCreated] - shows number of cases created by month

- [CasesCompleted] - shows number of completed cases by month

The object here is to show one graph with two data lines for both created and completed cases by month.

Many thanks in advance.

• 4. Re: Linear Graph with two dimensions issue
                Ashish Chaudhari

Hi Paolo,

Please find the attached screenshot where I have tried to make the two lines for case created and case closed.

Let me know if this help. I have used both dates and done dual axis. later I synchronized them. I have put the number of records against it which has created the above trend line. Let me know if you are having any doubt following this instructions. I am using tableau 10.

Thanks and Regards,

Ashish Chaudhari

• 5. Re: Linear Graph with two dimensions issue
                  Mahfooj Khan

I saw you data. Is that what you wanted?

workbook (version 9.3) has been attached for your reference. Let me know If you've any query.

Mahfooj

• 6. Re: Linear Graph with two dimensions issue
                    paolo.raia

Thank you both very much for your feedback and apologies for not replying sooner.

Ashish: Thank you, however, I do not have version 10 so could not open the workbook.

Mahfooj: Thank you.  I have tried your idea but cannot seem to get it working.  Will give this another go.

Kind regards.