11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 6:10 AM by Toby Erkson Branched to a new discussion.

Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules

Mattia Balzarini

Hi Everybody,

I'm here today to ask some tips about Tableau Online(not Server) refresh schedules.

1- Is it possible to set hours/days for the schedules different from the one given by default?

2- What's the difference of a "sequential(slower)" refresh?

3-Right now I run 6 data sources incremental refreshes each day. I run them in pairs at different hours (2 at 6am, 2 at 7am, 2 at 8am) if I sum up the time it take for each one to be updated, it is around 75 minutes. Question is, if I run them all together at 7am is it possible that not all refreshes go through but there is an error? or it will work fine, simply one source after the other giving priority according to the priority I set? And the speed that it takes to make this refreshes, is based, on tableau cloud servers or on my machine?

4-I would like to know if this is the most efficient way to keep data sources up to date, below my steps:

a-I have one analysis on tableau dekstop where I have different data sources

b-each source is saved as tableau extract on my machine.

c-I publish all this sources to tableau online and set the incremental refreshes to run daily.

d-My analysis are based on the sources posted online

I do in this way because I'm sure that all my analysis are consistent with the data since all of them are based on the same 6 sources and are all refreshed both locally on pc when I open them and on the published online version as soon as the Sources are refreshed.

Is it an efficient way?

Thanks a lot

Mattia

• 1. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
          Toby Erkson

Tableau Online is Tableau Server so they are essentially the same, however there are some small differences but thanks for letting us know what you have (good details, thank you!)

1.  From what I can understand by the documentation, yes you can:  Tableau Online: Create a Schedule for a Sync Client Data Source

2.  Sequential refresh means only one item at a time will be refreshed.  Once it's done being refreshed the next object will get refreshed.  It looks like the default is Parallel, meaning that when a schedule runs and there are multiple objects that are being refreshed one will be executed for each process that is available e.g. if there are 4 backgrounders then 4 different refreshes will occur.  Read the section Execution Mode.

3a.  If the schedules are NOT sequential then they will likely run side-by-side, meaning if you have 2 or more backgrounders then the refreshes will run simultaneously   They will not error.  This is what Tableau Server is meant to do

3b.  You could run them all at 7am and it will work fine and run in the order that you assign priority.  This explains the order of refresh priorities:  Background Task Prioritization

3c.  If the Online server is running the schedule and refreshes then speed would be based on it's processing power and connection speed to the data source(s) through the sync client.

4.  I don't know   It sounds like it wouldn't be scalable, like if you start having more workbooks and [possibly] more data sources.  However, I don't work with Online so I'm definitely not an expert here and given how it works with non-online data sources I could be wrong.  Having extracts saved on your computer seems redundant and space consuming to me but I don't know if that's how Online works

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
            Mattia Balzarini

Toby Erkson Thank you for the response.

1- That's true thanks, unfortunately Tableau has some bug related with Polish characters (I work in Poland) and this cause the "sync client" not to work at all for machine with Polish version of Windows.

They already know about this and told that they'll try to fix this bug in next releases ( fingers crossed)

2-3 Thank you, very accurate answer

4- The Tableau support told me it is the best way to keep it with Tableau Online, but I am looking for experienced users (using Tableau Online) who might have some advice. Could you elaborate on why you think it is not scalable? I keep it this way so that all workbooks are based on the same published Data Sources, so that data across each workbook is the consistent with each other

The extracts on the machine are not getting updated by the refreshes, they are just used to publish the data source online, then all refreshes (daily incremental & weekly total) are happening on the published source without updating the one on the machine. (I think they would be updating if I would use the Sync Client "run continuously" option (which as mentioned above, I cannot)

Again Thank you very much for taking the time to help a newbie

Mattia

• 3. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
              Toby Erkson

1.  Ah, that little bit of Polish information was left out.  Okay, it's not the answer you'd hope for but at least you now know why and that's good.  I'll cross my fingers for the fix as well

4.  First, do what Tableau support tells you over what I said since I'm not experienced with Online; I'm totally fine with them having the final word on what you're doing since they know your situation best.  Second, thanks for explaining exactly what you are doing, now it makes sense   Yes, what you're doing sounds okay to me now that I understand your process better

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                Mattia Balzarini

Once again, thanks a lot

• 5. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                  Mattia Balzarini

HelloToby Erkson

I just noticed one thing. A full refresh of the data source happening Online ( as well as locally on machine, but this is obvious) does not refresh automatically each published dashboard backwards. But I need to open the workbook on dekstop and republish them.

This way isn't very convenient, since I do have a lot of dashboards to republish every time, you know any way to solve such issue?

Best

Mattia

• 6. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                    Toby Erkson

Mattia Balzarini wrote:

...A full refresh of the data source happening Online ( as well as locally on machine, but this is obvious) does not refresh automatically each published dashboard backwards. But I need to open the workbook on dekstop and republish them....

I don't understand what you mean by the above.

• 7. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                      Mattia Balzarini

Toby Erkson I have tasks that run Incremental refreshes of Data sources which are published online every day. There also is full refresh running once in a week.

We have transactions which takes up to 3 days to be confirmed. Therefore they would not appear in an incremental refresh once they get confirmed.

When the full refresh task run, if I check in workbooks (on dekstop) these transactions appear, so there is some slight change in the last week data. But I do not see these changes in the same workbook, on the online version(the one published and shared).

To have these changes effectively take place, I need to re-publish the dekstop workbook online and overwrite the previous online version.

• 8. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                        Toby Erkson

Hey Mattia,

I have no experience with Online and I don't understand exactly what is wrong so I would recommend contacting Tableau Support.  I don't want to waste your time due to my lack of knowledge, however, once you get a solution please come back and post it   Then I will learn something...and I can point people to YOU if they have Online questions, LOL

• 9. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                          Mattia Balzarini

eheheh, fair enough, I contacted them, will come back with any answer they might have

• 10. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                            Mattia Balzarini

So, I spoke with support and I have a solution to my problem.

Basically, if you run "Full Refresh" as a task on Tableau Online, to have the data of published workbooks refreshed, you actually have to click "Refresh" on top left corner (not refresh the page). This might seem obvious if you have the workbook open from before the Refresh. The tricky part is that if you open the published workbook AFTER the refresh happened, you still need to click Refresh, because for efficiency purposes, Tableau get data from the cache instead than from the data source, clicking refresh tells it "take the data from the data source"

Other 2 things I learnt for sure are:

-if you Re-Publish  a workbook online, rewriting the previous version, all personal views of people related to this workbook, will disappear with no possibility to recover them (except recreating them)

-Tableau Online tasks can be run just at the time schedules available online, only way to do it in different hours/days/etc is to use the tabcmd (Tableau Command Line)

Best Regards

Mattia

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Tableau Online Refreshes Schedules
                              Toby Erkson

Okay, I understand what was happening.  That makes sense and the operations are the same for Tableau Server.

Mattia Balzarini wrote:

...The tricky part is that if you open the published workbook AFTER the refresh happened, you still need to click Refresh, because for efficiency purposes, Tableau get data from the cache instead than from the data source, clicking refresh tells it "take the data from the data source"...

This is tricky, indeed.  I have our Server cache set up to refresh more often so what you're seeing doesn't happen for us.

One advantage of having a Tableau Server on-premises.

Thanks for sharing your answer