7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 6:21 AM by Andy Dennison

Error Publishing to Tableau Server

Ryan Farina

Hello,

I am getting an error listed below when I try to upload to our Tableau Server. This workbook has worked in the past, all I have done is added an additional dashboard.

Publish Failure

An unexpected error occurred opening the packaged workbook

Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

EDIT Added:

I did find this, I have tried hiding some fields and it still has the same error:

Error "An unexpected error occurred opening the workbook" Publishing Workbook | Tableau Software

• 1. Re: Error Publishing to Tableau Server
          Nathan Panuco

Hi Ryan!

That article is regarding a specific error deeper in the logs that is related to ZipBomb protection - have you found that error in the logs? If not, this issue may be related to something other then the Zipbomb error. Are you able to disable zipbomb protection and see if that clears the error? Note that the controls for Zipbomb protection were not enabled until 9.3.5 or later (or 9.2.10 or later). If disabling it doesn't work, I'd suggest opening a case with Tableau Technical Support for a deeper look into the logs: http://www.tableau.com/support/request

Thanks and hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Error Publishing to Tableau Server
            Ryan Farina

I have not had an opportunity to try that since it is on our production server right now. I was going to try that later in the evening to see if that corrected it. We are running 9.2.1, thank you for the advice!

• 3. Re: Error Publishing to Tableau Server
              Nathan Panuco

You can still check while the server is running. Grab a copy of the Ziplogs (Archive Logs on Command Line (tabadmin)) and unzip them (including any worker.zips). Throw the unzipped logs folder into Sublime (Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with) and navigate to Find > Find in Files > and paste "Possible ZipBomb detected" into the Find field. It will take some time to search and If it shows up, this is likely the cause and the data needs to be simplified or ZipBomb protection needs to be adjusted or disabled (but you'll need to upgrade Tableau Server to do that). If that phrase doesn't show up - it's likely something else and in need of further investigation from Tableau Technical Support.

FYI: For reference, the error will show up in one of the VizPortal logs

• 4. Re: Error Publishing to Tableau Server
                Ryan Farina

Yup - I found the 'Possible ZipBomb detected.' Thank you for the help there, very nice tool for sure. I had earlier tried manually looking through the logs for this and obviously was not very successful.

EDIT: Added -

I have updated our development environment to remove the zipbomb detection and they were able to publish. Thank you for your help Nathan!

• 5. Re: Error Publishing to Tableau Server
                  Andy Dennison

I am getting this same error opening a local .twbx (with an extract) in Tableau Desktop. Is there any mitigation steps in the desktop version to recover the workbook?

• 6. Re: Error Publishing to Tableau Server
                    Nathan Panuco

Hi Andy!

Which same error are you getting? "Possible ZipBomb Detected" would indicate this is the issue (although I don't know that I've heard of Tableau Desktop throwing that error). If you are receiving a "Publish Failure - An unexpected error occurred opening the packaged workbook", that is a fairly generic error that likely needs additional investigation. You might want to try setting up clean Desktop Logs and then reproduce the error and see what is going on behind the scenes when the publish fails.

Thanks and hope this helps!

• 7. Re: Error Publishing to Tableau Server
                      Andy Dennison

Nathan,

It was specifically the "Possible ZipBomb Detected" error. After messing around in a panic, I tried unzipping the .twbx manually with 7zip, which temporarily solved the issue. My assumption is something happened when Tableau compressed the files into the .twbx on save. I will try to reproduce and send along since it may be a Desktop bug.