1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2016 5:05 PM by Brad Shuel

Time Series Comaprisons

Jon Zerden

Tableau Community-

I having a bit of trouble coming up with a good way to represent some 'time series' based data in a format that is useful for our specific needs.  In our business we do number of measurements on an individual (height, weight, body fat % etc..)  For each individual, we may do the measurement 0 to many times - with 0 to infinity day between measurements.

Data structure - pertinent fields:

• Dimension: Users
        • Birth date (we convert to current age)
      • Dimension: Assessment
        • Date/time completed
      • Measure: Assessment
        • Height
        • Weight
        • Body fat %

Ideally what i'd like to do is to:

1. Filter the result set for only those that have at least two date/time completed values
      2. For those with two completed values - I'd like to show the data in the following format:

User ID | Gender | Date First Completed | Body fat % | Date Second Completed | Number of Days between first and second date completed | Body fat % | Date Third Completed | Number of Days between Second and third date completed | Body fat % |

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Time Series Comaprisons
          Brad Shuel

Hi Jon,

In regards to the 1:

A. In the data pane, right click the User ID field (or the field you would like to use to answer the question "Does this field value have 2 timestamps?") I am just assuming it's User ID. Select Create > Set.

B. In the Set menu, navigate to the Condition Tab and enter a formula similar to the following:

count([Date/Time complete]) > 1

C. Click Ok. This puts User ID's in the set if they have more than 1 timestamp. We can now use this set in the view or use it to filter the view. Below is some additional information on computed sets:

Creating a Set

As for number 2, I may need a bit more information. We should be able to drag these fields into the view and then filter using the set we created above.

If this doesn't help, are you able to share a workbook?