1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 12:12 PM by Kyle Boyce

Calculation using Prior and Following Year to calculate replacement

Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Hi Guys,

I have an issue of calculating replacement which is calculated by:

[Total Student Headcount (Year 1) - Graduated Students (Year 1)] - [Total Student Headcount (Year 2)-New Students (Year 2)]. I can't think of anything how I can attribute current and prior year info into calculated field. Could you please guide me how I can calculate this formula or any guidance how to approach this calculation. Thank you so much and I really appreciate that.

- Total Student Headcount is a union of data sources that have new and returning (could be also graduating) students for each year

- New Students is a union of data sources that have only new enrolled students for each year

- Graduated Students is a union of data sources that have only graduated students for each year

Main relationship attribute between all of those data is ID (at least).

• 1. Re: Calculation using Prior and Following Year to calculate replacement
          Kyle Boyce

You can create multiple calculations using a DATEPART() on your fields. For example,

Create Calculated Field called: "2016 Student Headcount"

IF DATEPART('year',[field]) = DATEPART('year',TODAY())

THEN SUM([Headcount])

END

Create another Calculated Field called: "2016 Graduating Headcount"

IF DATEPART('year',[field]) = DATEPART('year',TODAY())

AND [Student Status] = "Graduating"

THEN SUM([Headcount])

END

Do this for the specific calculations you need, then use the calculated fields in another equation. For example,

[2016 Student Headcount] - [2016 Graduating Headcount]

I'm sure you get the point...