1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 9:21 AM by David Li

Data Stored as Text Need Help

Jon Townsend

I currently have a data set stored in a Microsoft SQL server, and I only have read access. There is a revenue number that is stored as text (e.g. $3.15). I have created an extract on my local machine to make it a little more accessible and avoid issues I was having with calculated fields.

Unfortunately I still can't convert it to a number through the normal drop down, so I have been trying to do so using a calculated field, but I can't use float because it contains different characters ($) and I can't use Int because then I lose my decimals which I need for this project.

Has anyone had this problem before, and how did you solve it?

• 1. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
          chris.moore.11

Is it just the "$" symobol that is non-numeric, and is it always the first character?

If so you could do      float(right([field], len([field])-1))

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
            Kathryn Bridges

Hey Jon,

Not sure this will work, but have you tried MID([Field],2,n) to get rid of the dollar sign, and then either concatenating with other variations of RIGHT([Field],2), or float once you've gotten rid of the $?

Also wondering if you could just do Int[Field]/100 to get the decimals back?

Good luck!

• 3. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
              David Li

Try FLOAT(REPLACE([Field], "$", "")).

• 4. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                Jon Townsend

Thank you both for the advice. Actually either solution would work, I tested both with a sample data set, but unfortunately it isn't working in my actual data set.

It returns all null values. So I broke down your concept Chris into stages of separate fields :

Calc1. LEN([Field])

Calc2. Calc1-1

Calc3: (ETC....)

but for some reason when I do LEN([Field]) its returning weird values.

$2.17 shows a length of 6, but when I copy and paste the value into Excel it says the length is 5 which should be correct and it pastes in directly as a number instead of text.

See the image below for clarity.

Any thoughts? I have tested tableau 9.3 and tableau 10 to make sure it wasn't a Tableau 10 glitch. Capture.PNG

• 5. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                  Mahfooj Khan

You can try this

FLOAT(MID([LTM Avg], 2))

Right click that calculated field in the data window and select "Default Properties" --> "Number Format" and select Currency (or Currency Custom) and just remove the prefix. Then drag the field in measures pane.

Let me know If this help.

Mahfooj

• 6. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                    kettan

$2.17 shows a length of 6, but when I copy and paste the value into Excel it says the length is 5 which should be correct and it pastes in directly as a number instead of text.

This calculation may help us identify the mysterious 6th character:

STR(ASCII(LEFT([Field],1)))  + "  " +

LEFT([Field],2) + "  ...  " +

RIGHT([Field],2)  + "  " +

STR(ASCII(RIGHT([Field],1)))

Could you share a screenshot of it in use?

Ps. My intention is not to use much time on the community today, but just thought to share this.

• 7. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                      chris.moore.11

Yeah, if there's a mystery character somewhere id breakdown each character and see what it is.

left([field],1)

right(left([field],2),1)

right(left([field],3),1)

right(left([field],4),1)

right(left([field],5),1)

right([field],1)

• 8. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                        Jon Townsend

Thanks Chris. This was helpful. I got it working based on your original input, but for whatever reason I had to go to an older extract of the database that I had from 2 weeks ago. The data is the exact same so it doesn't make a difference that its two weeks old, but there is something going on with the SQL that that team is going to have to look into.

• 9. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                          Jon Townsend

Thank you Kettan,

I tested this formula as well. you wrote it perfectly. It definitely helped me sort out what the out of place character was. it is a space that is being stored before the "$". See the image below per your request to see it in use.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Kettan Method.PNG

• 10. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                            Jon Townsend

To sum up the answer to this question for future readers:

FLOAT(RIGHT([FIELD],LEN([FIELD])-2)) solved the problem. The number 2 in the formula is the variable if you don't know how many characters there are. Maybe more or less than that. In my data set there was a ghost space (" ") in front of a dollar sign that was causing the problem. The method below shows how to determine what and where it is.

Originally I was under the impression that there was a spare character on either end, but Using Kettan's suggested method above I was able to determine where and what the character was. His formula is as follows:

STR(ASCII(LEFT([FIELD],1)))+" "+

LEFT([FIELD],2)+"..."+

RIGHT([FIELD],2)+" "+

STR(ASCII(RIGHT([FIELD],1)))

• 11. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                              kettan

You are welcome 

I am a little bit surprised, because I had assumed  David's  formula in  Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help  didn't work while at the same time knowing that it works fine with a prefixed space or for that sake a multitude of prefixed and suffixed spaces.

Could you try David's formula again and confirm that it doesn't work?

FLOAT(REPLACE([Field], "$", ""))

• 12. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                                Jon Townsend

For whatever reason (possibly user error...) the prefixed space was giving me problems when I used David's formula. So using yours showed me the prefixed space which made the difference.

• 13. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                                  David Li

Hmm, interesting. Does it work if you add TRIM() inside the FLOAT() formula?

• 14. Re: Data Stored as Text Need Help
                                    Jon Townsend

Nope. didn't like the TRIM(). Not sure why, that works logically...

1 2 Previous Next