3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 8:28 AM by David Li

Dynamic Parameter in Tableau 10

Periyasamy S

Hi,

Does Tableau 10 have the dynamic parameter feature ? (Date Parameter gets updated to the max(date) as and when the data refreshes)

Thanks !

• 1. Re: Dynamic Parameter in Tableau 10
          David Li

As far as I know, dynamic parameters haven't been implemented yet, but the feature is being considered by the Tableau development team.

In the meantime, you could work around issues with dates beyond the max date in your data set by creating a calculated field that takes the earlier of the max date and the parameter.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dynamic Parameter in Tableau 10
            Rohan Malusare

Hi David Li,

Can you guide me on this

"dates beyond the max date in your data set by creating a calculated field that takes the earlier of the max date and the parameter."

On dashboard I am using Financial year parameter and Month parameter to control dashboard.

Where desire output is as an when there is data available for latest month month need to change from old month to new /latest/max month.

Thanks and regards,

Rohan Malusare

• 3. Re: Dynamic Parameter in Tableau 10
              David Li

Hi Rohan! Here are the steps I would follow to do that:

1. Create a date parameter. Set it to some date way in the future, because this date parameter will only be used to look back in time from the max date of the data source. Let's call this [Date Param].
              2. Create a LOD calculation that gets the max date. For instance, { MAX([Date Field]) }. Let's call this [Max Date].
              3. Add your date field to the filters and then use a custom condition (in the Condition tab) to filter in when [Date Field] = MIN([Date Param], [Max Date]).