5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 5:26 PM by Gary Bisaga

non numeric measures

Scott Stinson

Hi Guys (and Girls)

Is there a way to combine numeric and non-numeric measures in a table using measure name on rows and measure value as text. I want profit as a number and a calculated classification of my profit as "good" or "bad"

Thanks

Scott

• 1. Re: non numeric measures
          Kevin Eberhardt

Hi Scott,

Do you mean something like that?

Sincerely

• 2. Re: non numeric measures
            Scott Stinson

Thank you Kevin,

Is that a measure or a dimension?  I need it to be a measure. The idea is that I have multiple measures as columns (Profit, Target Profit, Classification etc) When I create a calculated measure (Classification) and use measure names and measure values I am unable to add the non-numeric measure to the report.

Cheers

Scott

• 3. Re: non numeric measures
              Scott Stinson

Just trying to bump this up.  Kevin's solution works when we have only two measures. As seen as we drag in a third Tableau will put measure names on columns and measure value on text. The numeric measures will be added on the measure value pane. Dragging the text measure to the measure value pane produces an error.

Is this a limitation of Tableau? Is it impossible to mix multiple measures when some are numeric and some are text?

Thanks

Scott

• 4. Re: non numeric measures
                Bora Beran

Hi Scott,

You can use continuous measures in Measure Values shelf and text can't be transformed into that form (except if you use an aggregate like COUNT or COUNTD which is not what you want based on your description).

Workaround would be to use other shelves for them e.g. like I did with Segment and Customer Name in the screenshot above.

• 5. Re: non numeric measures
                  Gary Bisaga

I have this same problem. This solution is closer to what I need, however I can't have the calculated fields be all the way to the left: rather, they need to be interspersed with fields from the Measure Values. In other words, like this:

Is it really possible that a tool as powerful as Tableau does not have a capability as simple as altering the displayed values in a data table, and my only choice to massage the source data before it gets in Tableau? Thanks very much for your help!