2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 3:29 PM by harris.tsr Branched from an earlier discussion.

auto refresh of excel data source in tableau server

harris.tsr

I'm struggling with auto refresh for 3 months and have tried almost everything. I have replaced the mapped files sources with the full UNC names, I have opt out the Include External Files, I have checked the permissions of the file source, I've confirmed the file source (csv file) is not open in any other location or used by other dashboards, I've checked the embedded password multiple times and it is correct. Is there any other route I can take other than raising a case which I've done but it's sitll in process?

• 1. Re:  auto refresh of excel data source in tableau server
          David Mannering

It sounds like you've covered the bases, but let me just go through the checklist of things we did to get this to work.  Also I'm confused about the embedded password.  You don't have a password on the .csv file I assume.

1. The server is set up to run as an active directory user (not as the default Windows network server).

2. That user has permissions to the .csv location

3. There is no firewall rule preventing the server from accessing the .csv location

4. The .csv connection in Tableau desktop uses the UNC path, not a drive letter.

5. The include external files box is not checked

If you've verified all these things, then a support case may be your only answer.

• 2. Re:  auto refresh of excel data source in tableau server
            harris.tsr

1, 2 - Yes. The server is set up to run as an active dir user and the tableau server user id has full control of the destination

3. No firewall

4. Correct. Full unc path

5. The include external files box is unchecked when I publish. I download the published workbook, open it with Tableau Desktop and try to re-publish, the box is checked by default. Not sure if that makes any difference. The embedded pass refers to the connection with the primary data source which is an oracle table and I mentioned just to provide the full overview of my actions 

Hopefully the case I raised will resolve the issue

Many thanks