9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 11:00 AM by Simon Runc

Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly

anil kumar

Hi all,

I am trying to bin products by customers, I have achieved by using LOD calculations ({ FIXED [Customer ID] : COUNTD([Product Name])}) .

1.JPG

I have created product bucket 1,2..5+, but when I am filtering by time, the time filter is not applying on the bins accordingly.

2.JPG

As filtered the customer has 4 products but stills falls under 5+ bucket where he should fall under 4.

Attached .twbx file.Please help me out.

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
          chris.moore.11

Hi, the way you have it set up currently your lod calc will count distinct product names for each customer over all years (and all other fields).

Fixed calculations happen before your quick filters are applied. If you right click your (Year(Order Date) filter and select "add to context" then that year filter will be applied before your lod calc.

• 2. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
            Simon Runc

hi Anil,

So regular dimension filters are applied after an FIXED LoD is calculated, so filtering on date has no affect on the assignment of people to bins (as it's an FIXED LoDs)

Order-of-Operations - JM.png

So to get round this, we can 'bump' the filter up the calculation pipeline, by making it a 'context filter'...click on the filter (Order Date) and select 'Add to context' (it will turn grey to let you know it's done)...it will now affect FIXED LoDs (there can be a performance cost to this, but unless your data set it huge/complicated you'll barley notice)

Hope that helps.

• 3. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
              anil kumar

Hi Simon and Chris thanks for the replay,

my data set is huge can I apply context filter? also can I apply multiple context filters?

Is there any other method to achieve this?

Thank you

• 4. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
                chris.moore.11

I would try using context filters and see if it hurts your performance too much. There would be slightly altered approaches using "include" instead of "fixed", but i cant speak to the efficiency of one vs another.

• 5. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
                  anil kumar

Data source am using is MySQL and my Dashboards has too many filters and sheets, performance is poor as am using live connection,

Do context filters add additional burden to the performance? 

• 6. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
                    Simon Runc

hi Anhil,

As Chris says, it's a bit of a "try it and see" in terms of performance with FIXED LoDs and context filters. There are times (especially when the data is large, and the filter is filtering out a 'vast majority') that a context filter can actually speed things up (I've deliberately used the vague term 'vast' as it depends on the data structure...etc. but 85%+ is the kind of level where you 'can' see improvements). Context filters...kind of (there is a bit more to it!..but in short) build a temp-table (of the filtered data) that the queries are run against, so if the time reduced by running queries over less data, out-weigh the time it takes to build the table you get a performance increase (a bit like datasource filters)...this is all 'in theory'

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” Einstein

...I've found no hard and fast rule, or heard of one!

Include/Exclude are generally more efficient than FIXED LoDs...FIXED LoDs (generally) create temp-tables of the level required and join it back on to the main data (at that level), whereas Include/Exclude run 'locally' (and are also responsive to regular filters)...so seem (IMHO) more akin to Table Calculations in their speed.

I say, give it a go (use the performance recorder if required...there could be other calcs you could improve to 'allow' for the FIXED LoD cost), and if it is really bad, try creating the same calc with include/exclude and non-context filters...and let us know how you get on!

• 7. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
                      Simon Runc

...are you not able to use an Extract?...this will be so much faster than MySQL. Lots of drop-down filters (especially if they are all 'Relevant Values Only'...or now Context) will slow things down, regardless of what else is going on (...every-time one is selected, Tableau has to query the data to get the LoV for the other filters). I tend to build my dashboards, with dashboard actions as the primary way of playing/filtering the data to keep the number of drop-down filters to a minimum.

• 8. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
                        anil kumar

As the data updates daily I am forced to use live connection and paying heavy price for it, will try the mentioned methods by you and let you know,

Thank for the help guys

• 9. Re: Filters on Bin's not applying accordingly
                          Simon Runc

Best of luck!...

Although some of this is directed for TDEs...there are some other, general, advise on things to try to speed things up

6 Tips to Make Your Dashboards More Performant | Tableau Software

this one focuses more on design...but still got some things to try

Best Practices for Designing Efficient Tableau Workbooks, the V10.0 edition | The Last Data Bender