5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 1:21 PM by Dmitry Chirkov

Oracle connection slow after saving and reopening.

tim tim

I created a workbook using an Oracle connection with 2 left joins. It barely pulls in 1mb of data when complete. When starting from scratch I have no problems navigating the edit connection page. After saving and coming back to this file I have to wait 3 minutes for the edit connection page to open. A full refresh is taking so long that I have terminated the program in giving up. Is there anything I can do to track the issue? I created the workbook from scratch and the problem did come back. The problem seems isolated to this one workbook.

• 1. Re: Oracle connection slow after saving and reopening.
          Dmitry Chirkov

What is "edit connection page" exactly? Is it Data Source tab?

Also, when you say "full refresh" - do you have an Extract created from this Oracle connection?

Also, you say you have to terminate the program - is it because you are unable to cancel the progress dialog? What does the dialog say when it sits there?

Answers to these question would greatly help me help you.

• 2. Re: Oracle connection slow after saving and reopening.
            tim tim

I created the workbook which worked fine originally and was able to extract my data. I have an extract created from this Oracle connection. I am trying to refresh this data.

When I attempt to edit the connection (the data source tab) I get a message that says 'loading data for preview'. It takes 3 minutes for this to load. I can attempt to run the data extract refresh but it just keeps running. My computer doesn't seem to be showing any network activity or processing power being used. I just terminate the program with alt-f4 as the cancel button just seems to hang but that really isn't anything new.

• 3. Re: Oracle connection slow after saving and reopening.
              Dmitry Chirkov

Do you just want to refresh an extract? If yes - no need to go to Data Source Tab:

As for the issue... When you navigate to Data Source data Tableau is executing a live query against your Oracle database which can be slow - depending on your joins or Custom SQL you use (do you use Custom SQL?).

How long does it take to refresh your extract?

• 4. Re: Oracle connection slow after saving and reopening.
                tim tim

I did not use customsql when I created this connection. I however did convert it and test the customsql in an outside program. It didn't have any issues.

It didn't take long to extract this on the first original attempt. 5-10 minutes.

Normally when I run extracts it shows me a number increasing as it executes the query. It doesn't do that on this one. It just says executing query. I can't get it to complete an extract to know how long it takes. It also doesn't seem like the network is doing anything.

• 5. Re: Oracle connection slow after saving and reopening.
                  Dmitry Chirkov

I'd be happy to look deeper into this however private message (or even support case) might be a better medium for this as I'd need to see logs from your machine.