3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2018 12:05 PM by peter medler

Formatting layout containers in Tableau 10

Rachel Bruce

This is probably just me being silly, but I can't work out how to format layout containers in Tableau 10! There is no mention in the documentation of it having changed, but the option seems to have gone:

Anybody able to point me in the right direction??

• 1. Re: Formatting layout containers in Tableau 10
          mike.f

Hi Rachel,

"Format Container" option is only visible when using the "Default" layout.  Option is missing on any secondary views (desktop, tablet and phone), not sure if that is by design.  Try adding to your default view, formatting there, and then removing from the default Dashboard view which should leave the modified phone version.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Formatting layout containers in Tableau 10
            Rachel Bruce

Hi Mike,

So it is! I found an annoying way to achieve what I wanted (i.e. a formatted layout container that appears on the phone dashboard only). Your way doesn't quite work, because if you delete it from the default view then it also disappears from the other views.

1. Create a layout container on the default view
            2. Format it the way you want it on the phone view
            3. Delete it from the default view
            4. Drag a new container onto the phone view. It will have the formatting of the layout container that you just created on the default view.

...I'm guessing this was an oversight, given that it's possible to achieve what I wanted in a roundabout way.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Formatting layout containers in Tableau 10
              peter medler

Its just sad that this is what it comes down to.  Its really not a complex issue, formatting a box should be intuitive, no?  And it used to be there but it got lost in the mix, tableau can do better, sloppy.