8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 9:42 AM by Sandeep Kotha

Conditional formating related

Niranjan Banarjee

HI

Is there any way we can only show conditional formatting icons for  all except the 1st column.

• 1. Re: Conditional formating related
          Steve Taylor

Hello Niranjan

The way I'd solve this would be to have separate marks cards for each of your measures, that way you can set two of the measures to be shapes and the other to just be a label.

It involves creating a calculated field on which to plot your labels (set to 0), and copies of that field for each measure you wish to display. You add those "plot" fields to columns and on their marks cards label with the relevant measure.

You then leave the first column as text and change the other columns to display as shapes and colour the shapes by the conditional formatting field you have.

The tricky part is getting the columns to show the measure names at the top. For this part you need to add the measures to the columns next to each "plot" measure and set the measure to dual axis. An axis will appear at the top of the view and your marks will be plotted along that axis. You need to make the marks white and completely transparent and remove any field from colour on their marks cards.

Then to remove the axis tick marks, right click on the axes at the top and in the edit axis window, Tick marks tab, select none for all. Do the same thing for the "plot" axes and remove anything in the Title for those axes.

I hope that's a decent explanation and you can get that working with your data. I've attached a workbook with an example using superstore data.

Steve

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Conditional formating related
            Niranjan Banarjee

Thanks Steve.

But, I am unable to open the workbook.Can you please share the workbook in 9.2 version.

• 3. Re: Conditional formating related
              Steve Taylor

Sorry Niranjan, I should've asked what version you're using first!

Here's a 9.2 workbook.

• 4. Re: Conditional formating related
                Niranjan Banarjee

Thanks Steve!

I couldn't exactly comprehend from the file. But used the logic and was able to achieve the desired result atlast.

• 5. Re: Conditional formating related
                  Steve Taylor

You're welcome, glad it works for you.

• 6. Re: Conditional formating related
                    Sandeep Kotha

Hi Steve,

I have the same requirement. I have gone through the entire post but failed to implement for my data.

Week1Week21Var1Var2Var3
                    32784645-1
                    7856-2278100
                    9622-7490164
                    5632-242347

I have couple of fields in my data. Above is my sample data.I want those upward and downward arrows only for the fields Var1,Var2 and Var3 not for all the fields.

Could you please help me on this?

Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Sandeep

• 7. Re: Conditional formating related
                      Steve Taylor

Hello Sandeep

The example workbooks (first one in v9.3 and second in v9.2) should contain the setup you require, just have a look at each marks card and what fields I put on the columns and rows.

The only extra fields I created were the "plot" fields, the rest is done by removing axes labels where appropriate and making the marks for the actual measures transparent (which you can do via the colour box in the marks cards.

The only difference with your data is that you need to make sure your week 1 and week 21 fields are discrete dimensions and add them to rows and the "plot" fields and your Var measures to columns.

steve

• 8. Re: Conditional formating related
                        Sandeep Kotha

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I am unable to show all field names at the top (in columns shelf) which is a tricky part as said in the above thread.Also to create separate marks cards for each of the measures.

Best Wishes,

Sandeep