4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 10:28 AM by Toby Erkson

sync group question

John Kuo

Hi All,

An AD group (let's call it Wrong_Group) was added by accident. I deleted the group but the users stayed in the system (this is by design as I understand deleting a group doesn't delete the users). How do I get rid of users from this group?

I'm thinking...

1) re-add Wrong_group

2) Use tabcmd removerusrs to remove all users in that group

3) delete Wrong_group

What if a user is also a member of another group? Would it matter? I don't want to remove users in Wrong_group that also belongs to another.

What do you think?

Thanks!

John

• 1. Re: sync group question
          Jeff Strauss

It seems like a good exam question .  In any case, I know that removeusers will remove users from a group, but if it's the last group for the user, I somehow doubt it will delete the user from the system because there is also the "all users" sorta group that can have permissions.  Let me know how it turns out.  You could also do deleteusers or deletesiteusers.

• 2. Re: sync group question
            Nathan Panuco

If you had a list of the users and were able to put it into a .CSV, it looks like you could use Tabcmd to remove the whole list:

However, I don't think this would take into account if a user was a member of multiple groups...I would assume they would be re-synced the next time that process run but I don't know if it would have an impact on the workbooks and data sources they used.

• 3. Re: sync group question
              Toby Erkson

Nathan Panuco wrote:

1.  However, I don't think this would take into account if a user was a member of multiple groups...

2.  I would assume they would be re-synced the next time that process run but

3.  I don't know if it would have an impact on the workbooks and data sources they used.

1.  This will delete Users from the Server.  To be safe you may want to use deletesiteusers.

2.  Correct.

3.  If the User(s) were Owners of content then they would not be deleted but, instead, would get the Site Role of Unlicensed.  This is easy enough to find and correct the Site Role if necessary:

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: sync group question
                Toby Erkson

removeusers would not remove/delete the Users from the server.