7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 1:05 PM by David Li

Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart

Nathen Wagner

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice on how to filter down my bubble chart to show only the top 3 companies/foundations out of the ~25 I'm analyzing. My chart looks like this:Bubble.PNG

Could someone walk me through how to show only the top three companies here? The size represents dollars amounts. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart
          David Li

Hi Nathen! You can use a filter to do this. Take the dimension you used to separate the bubbles and add it to your filters. Then, go to the "Top" tab and select the top 3 by whatever measure you're using the size the bubbles.

• 2. Re: Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart
            Nathen Wagner

David, thanks for a quick response! I'm not sure what dimension is separating the bubbles like you mentioned. Here is what I have currently: MarksTableau.PNG

I need to filter by "obligated..", which is a dollar amount. But it shows under measures, not dimensions.

• 3. Re: Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart
              David Li

No problem!

Here, it looks like your breakdown (which is also called your level of detail) is determined by both [Direct Sponsor] and [Award Admin School]. Now, you need to figure out if these dimensions will create cross products. Think of this like putting all the Direct Sponsors and Award Admin schools into a Venn Diagram. Do any of the circles intersect?

For instance, let's say that Direct Sponsors never choose more than one Award Admin School. In that case, you won't get any cross products, and the number of bubbles will be equal to the number of Direct Sponsors. If that's the case, then you can just use Award Admin School as your dimension for the filtering I mentioned in my first reply.

However, if Direct Sponsors can pick more than one school, then you'll get more bubbles than schools or sponsors. In this case, you'll have to create a combined field of both Direct Sponsors and Award Admin Schools (the easiest way is just to select them both, right-click, and select Create > Combined Field). Then, you can filter on that. FYI, you can also use this method if your fields are non-intersecting.

When you use the filter, you should filter by the Obligated field you mentioned. (In my sample screenshot, I'm filtering by Sales.)

Let me know if you need any additional clarification!

• 4. Re: Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart
                Nathen Wagner

Hey David, when I combine award admin school & sponsor, then drag into filters, I don't have the option for the "Top" tab. Is there some way around this?noOption.PNG

• 5. Re: Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart
                  David Li

Oh, weird! I didn't realize that the Top filter would be excluded like that. You can manually create a combined field by just adding a + sign between the two fields in a calculated field. I.e.:

[Direct Sponsor] + [Award Admin School]

Then, you should be able to filter on that.

• 6. Re: Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart
                    Nathen Wagner

Worked great! Thanks, David!

• 7. Re: Showing Only Top 3 in Bubble Chart
                      David Li

You're welcome! Glad I could help!