9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 5:36 AM by peter.hill

Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?

peter.hill

(prior to publishing)

The same way you can duplicate a worksheet?  Or copy the formatting from one sheet to another?  I have four histograms vizzes showing slightly different subsets of data (unfortunately I can't combine them into one viz), but the tooltip formatting and fields used will be the same across all of them.  I would very much like to simply copy and paste the formatting from the "correctly formatted" tooltip onto the other three (or however many) views as opposed to having to manually pull out 20 different dimensions and measures per sheet, highlight them, bolden, set the font sizes and colors on each individual tooltip etc over and over again.  That seems like a lot of unnecessary manual work when in other areas (like duplicating sheets, formatting, or calcs), Tableau has made the same type of process very simple.

Does anyone know of a way to copy/duplicate a tooltip?

• 1. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
          Rahul Upadhye

I assume you want to copy tooltips across different data sources?

If yes, then lets say u have 3 datasources (db1, db2, db3) with corresponding 3 dashboards.

Now take ur original workbook file from db1 & create its 2 extra copies (.twbx files) for ex: Book1, Book2

Open Book1 and edit the data source to point it to db2. Replace references for Dimensions/Measures if needed

Repeat this for Book2.

Finally copy the dashboard from Book1 and Book2 & paste it in original workbook. This way you will have duplicated ur original tooltip formatting across other dashboards.

• 2. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
            peter.hill

Actually, no.  Much simpler than that.  One data source.  The data describes a bunch of orders made by customers.  Each order has both a size (# of pieces) and a "lead time" value, or the number of days before it is needed.  I have bucketed all orders into four "size buckets,"  0-50 pcs, 51-100 pcs, 101-25 pcs, and 250+ pcs.  I then create four histograms, one for each size bucket.  See the picture below.  I want to simply copy the formatting of the displayed tooltip to the other three vizzes without having to manually format each tooltip individually multiple times.

It just seems like that should be simpler, because I could easily imagine a situation where I might have a few more than four similar vizzes and I might want to copy over the tooltip formatting from one to the others, and the tooltips on each might have 10 different fields used in them, and there might be some complicated formatting, highlighting, coloring.  It seems that if that is the only way, there's an opportunity for the Tableau developers here....

• 3. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
              peter.hill

Does anyone have any ideas?  Is this something I simply have to do manually? 

• 4. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
                Hope Stiles

Peter,

You can format Tooptips across an entire workbook.  To do that go to Worksheet>Tooltips.  Then format the tooltip the way you want and it will appear that way on all worksheets.  I got the info from:  http://www.tableausoftware.com/sites/default/files/pages/beginner_secrets2011.pdf

For your specific example.  i think if you already have the tooltip set up on one worksheet, I would open it, Copy it, then go to the next worksheet and paste it.  As long as all the pills are on the view/detail/tooltip card then it should look the same as on the first worksheet.

Hope that helps.

-Hope

• 5. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
                  peter.hill

Thanks for your help, Hope! 

Unfortunately I tried that, going through the Worksheet Menu...Tooltip... and it only formats the currently selected worksheet, not all of them at once. 

Additionally, as to your second suggestion, yes, I can copy the text from one worksheet's tooltip to another, but it does NOT automatically pull in all of the referenced fields, and it does NOT link them automatically when you manually pull them in either.  So if I copied and pasted, it would format the text (color, position, and size) but leave all of the actual links out and only display the field names and not actual data until I manually pull all fields over, edit the tooltip, click each field and then save the tooltip again.  For each field, in each tooltip, on each sheet.

Any other suggestions?  Maybe some of the gurus might have an idea or know of something we're missing? Shawn Wallwork, Pooja Gandhi, Simon Runc, anyone?

• 6. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
                    pooja.gandhi

Hi Peter!

Thanks for the ping. You are correct that Tableau is not automatically going to pull in the referenced fields your tooltips refers to. It has to be placed on the detail shelf for you to accurately copy and paste the formatting and have the fields referred to correctly. You will want to make sure the remaining 3 worksheets have the fields required in the tooltip already placed on detail shelf. Then you can simply copy the tooltip text and paste it on other 3 worksheets.

I don't know if there is a way to automatically pull in referenced fields unless someone else knows.

Pooja.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
                      peter.hill

Thanks for the confirmation, Pooja.  I have a feeling that's just the way it is , but it would be a great feature to be able to copy and paste them and have all the referenced fields pull in at the same time!  I gues sunless someone else chimes in with aneasier way (and I doubt it), I'll create a new idea on the forum for it...

• 8. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
                        pooja.gandhi

I almost feel like it makes sense for it to not automatically be pulled in. Tooltips are a result of a data point on the viz level of detail. So if the dimension or measure of interest is not on the level of detail, the tooltip wouldn't show information for it. Copying and pasting text from one worksheet to the other would just mean, you are copying the information for the tooltip to read the datapoint.

Or one way would be to have the main worksheet ready fully and then copy and paste the sheet itself and change the dimensions (or whatever needs to change) on the other worksheets. That way all the fields would already be present on the viz LOD because you copied the sheet itself not the tooltip. Makes sense?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Can you duplicate a tooltip's formatting and fields to another worksheet...?
                          peter.hill

I agree completely with both of your points.  Your second point is the realization I came to after I made my four vizzes.  In the future, I'll do it that way: create one viz as a "template" of sorts with the tooltip formatted, then duplicate and iterate.  However, since I didn't have the foresight to do it that way (not realizing the tooltip limitations yet), I figured I am not the only one that would find value in the ability to copy a tooltip's text and fields from one sheet to another (however, as you've pointed out, the designer needs to be aware of what adding those fields will do to change the viz).  Niche case, I guess, but now I have a better understanding of the pros and cons, so thank you!