1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2016 2:16 AM by Matthias Goossens

Crazy vertically long viz.

Toby Erkson

Here's the page where the viz is located:  Famous Writers’ Sleep Habits vs. Literary Productivity, Visualized – Brain Pickings

Here's what I think of it

Interesting.  Different.  Terrible colors for marks (awards) and mark representation!  Productivity is an eye-chart and why differentiate between books and collections (of books)?  The viz is completely meaningless without the mark legend.  It's not intuitive.

What do you think?  How would you improve it yet still try to keep the 'flavor'?

Link to viz:  https://i1.wp.com/www.brainpickings.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/sleepproductivitywriters_1500_1.jpg?ssl=1

• 1. Re: Crazy vertically long viz.
          Matthias Goossens

Everything is confusing and difficult the read except for the images of the authors. It even took me a while to understand the shades of colors behind their images...

I would suggest keeping these images but showing the entire data in a different way.

I made a rough image of how it would look better:

Long-viz.png

The things I would change:

1) It's difficult to see the length of the carreer of each author in the original viz. If would show their length as a line that could be sized by the amount of prices they won.

2) Since I like the images, I'm keeping them in the middle of each line

3) The height of each line is determined by looking at the time they wake up, strangely that's one of the most important things in the original viz

4) The underlying tooltip shows the amount of books that were published and in which category by using a bar chart in the tooltip (Bar Charts in Tooltips | Tableau Software))

Their awards can also be shown in this tooltip.

Regards,

Matthias