8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 5:03 PM by Swapna Chennam

Custom Mapping Bug

Paul Houghton

Hey All Im trying to create a custom territory for my sales area based on a postcode (see below):

When I put the Area field (Dealer Area) onto the view the none of the post codes are recognised (see images) but when trying to edit the locations they most appear to be recognised.

If I add the postcode back in then it all works again. Is this a bug or am I missing something? Cheers

• 1. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
          Tom W

Is 'Dealer Area' also a postcode? If it's not a postcode, then Tableau will need the postcode field in order to draw the map - it won't be able to infer the post code simply because you've added the parent field from the hierarchy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
            Paul Houghton

The dealer area isn't a direct postcode. But I created the default

geographic properties using v10s custom area. To create the custom area it

was take from the actual postcode field (as in the first image)

• 3. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
              Tom W

I need to see a Tableau Packaged Workbook so I can take a look at the data.

• 4. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
                Paul Houghton

Unfortunately I can't post the original data but in putting together a dummy file I worked out the problem.

When using the custom geocoding tableau will create a new hierarchy for that derived mapping. My issue was I was looking at multiple countries so I needed to add the country information into that hierarchy to fill in the required information for there.

Thanks Tom W your question put me on the right path

• 5. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
                  Tom W

Glad to hear it. Keep in mind for next time that it's hard for us to achieve much without a Tableau Packaged Workbook. It doesn't have to contain all your data or even real data - a sample with cleansed data will suffice.

• 6. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
                    Swapna Chennam

Hi Tom,

I see you guys had a discussion on geocode belonging to different countries. I have been struggling to figure this out since morning. I am trying to map the Inventory units across countries. The original source file has abbreviated name for countries. I tried modifying it. There was no state column, I created state column next to the country, it still doesn't seem to be working. It seems like Tableau recognizes a few states but doesn't want to display the map. I have no clue why it doing this. Any idea? I attached the packaged workbook with original source file (not the modified one).

Thanks,

SC

• 7. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
                      Tom W

Click 'Show me' in the top right hand corner and click the 'symbol maps'

option

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 4:49 PM, Swapna Chennam <tableaucommunity@tableau.com

• 8. Re: Custom Mapping Bug
                        Swapna Chennam

Hi Tom,

I had the "Symbol maps" selected but I didn't have Background Maps set to Tableau. It was showing None. I just had to select Map --> Background Maps --> Tableau. I realized that few minutes ago.

Thanks Tom!

SC