8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2017 6:33 AM by Jose Alvarado

download all twbx from a project using tabcmd

kartic kumar

I have 18 twbx files in one project on tableau server.. Using below code to download the file -

tabcmd get "/workbooks/abc.twbx" -f "D:\tableauworkbook\abc.twbx"

Have replicated the above line for 17 other twbx files as there names are different. The above code is executing fine

I need a code where i can just pass the Project name in tabcmd & it downloads all the files present in one of the project  from tableau server with the same name they have it on local.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
          Luciano Vasconcelos

Hi.

I use to create a .bat file with parameters receiving as parameters project and datasource:

cd D:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.2\bin

tabcmd refreshextracts --server "xxxxxxxxxxxx" --no-certcheck --username "xxxxxxx" --password "xxxxxxxxxxx" --project %1 --datasource %2

• 2. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
            kartic kumar

Hi Lucas ,

Thanks for the reply!!

Not sure how your code will help me.

I am running tabcmds through .bat file but the problem is file name keep changing which are located in the project.

So to download the twbx file from server,  i have to edit the ,bat file with new file names everytime.
            Looking for any way where i just pass the project name in tmbcmd & all twbx files located on the Project on tableau server, get downloaded on my local system

• 3. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
              Luciano Vasconcelos

Well, you can use parameters in .bat to do it and just change how you call bat file.

I call just one .bat file called by CONTROL-M to refresh my datasources.

CONTROL-M input the parameters.

• 4. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
                Jeff Strauss

here's one method for fully automating.

1. create and publish a Tableau report that lists out all the workbooks for a given project.  The project can be a parameterized filter

2. Using tabcmd, do an export and pass in the parameter value of the project.  This will export the list of workbook names to a csv

3. Use a for loop to go through all the workbooks on the list and do a tabcmd get

See Tableau's data dictionary to see how to tap into the Tableau internal repository.

Workgroup DatabaseData Dictionary

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
                  kartic kumar

Hello Jeff,

Thanks much for the post!!!

I was able to create & publish a workbook on tableau server. The workbook gives the names of the twbx files present in one project .

Created batch file with tabcmd to export the data of the sheet into csv using tabcmd.

tabcmd line used to get tableau sheet data into csv :

tabcmd get "/views/WorkBooks/Sheet1.csv?Select%%20Project=abc%%20def%%20ghi" -f "D:\Files\Sheet1.csv"

(1st step & 2nd step completed. Facing issue in 3 rd step)

CSV file has data in below format.

Name

Workbook1 Country1

Workbook2 Country2

Workbook3 Country3

Workbook4 Country4

Workbook5 Country5

Now i am not able to create a batch file with tabcmd which parse the csv & use the csv data in tabcmd get.

Can you help me with the code for a batch file which parse csv data & use it in tabcmd get.

cd C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\9.0\bin

tabcmd login -s localhost:XXXX -u tableau -p passowrd

tabcmd get "/workbooks/Workbook1Country1.twbx" -f "D:\Ashika\Workbook1 Country1.twbx"

tabcmd logout

Also in above code, i have to remove the blanks from twbx file name ie Workbook1 Country1.twbx has to be Workbook1Country1 before executing above command.

• 6. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
                    Jeff Strauss

lol.  You don't really have to parse the csv if you use the proper tabcmd export.

tabcmd export "/workbookname/viewname?ParmProject=xxxxx&:refresh=yes" -f "g:\trythis.csv" --csv

Once you export the data, then you can loop through it with something like this.  It skips the first line, and it assumes you have 2 fields in your CSV, workbook name and workbook URL

REM %%A - Workbook name

REM %%B - Workbook URL

for /F "skip=1 tokens=1-2 delims=," %%A in (g:\trythis.csv) DO (

tabcmd get %%B.twbx?:refresh=yes --filename "g:\path_workbook_capture\%%A.twbx"

)

• 7. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
                      kartic kumar

Worked !!! Thank much Jeff for the help

added ""/workbooks/     "in tabcmd to get the result.

REM %%A - Name

REM %%B - Workbook Url

for /F "skip=1 tokens=1-2 delims=," %%A in (g:\trythis.csv) DO (

tabcmd get "/workbooks/%%B.twbx?:refresh=yes" --filename "g:\path_workbook_capture\%%A.twbx"

)

Also could you please let me know which is the language which you have used like REM %%A or for /F "skip=1 tokens=1-2 delims=

• 8. Re: download all twbx from a project using tabcmd
                        Jose Alvarado

How to download a workbook from a single project in tableau server with command lines?