4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 5:10 AM by Muhammad Khan

How to show data for prevous year's same term

Muhammad Khan

Hello Forum

Is there any way to create a calculated filed which shows data for same term in previous year

I have created following two measures form number of record, there data are the same

1) Total Marks for Winter 2015

2) Total Marks for Winter 2016

I also have following dimensions

1) Courses

2) Terms

I want to show them in following way

Courses 1    Courses 2   Courses 3   Courses 4   Courses 5

Total Marks for winter  2015          20                   30             10                 6                    7

Total Marks for Winter 2016          10                    11              12               40                   19   

Thanks

Muhammad

• 1. Re: How to show data for prevous year's same term
          Benjamin Greene

I can think of a couple ways to do this, but it's hard to say which one would be the best/fastest for you without looking at a packaged workbook. Assuming you already have a Term field that has values like "Winter 2015," my guess would be to first create two calculated fields: Term Name and Term Year.

Term Name:

LEFT([Term], FIND([Term], " ")-1)

Term Year:

RIGHT([Term], 4)

Then I would right click Term and select Create>Parameter and click OK, then show the parameter control. Finally, I would create a Filter calculated field that says:

IF [Term Name]=LEFT([Term Parameter], FIND([Term Parameter], " ")-1)

AND (INT([Term Year])=INT(RIGHT([Term Parameter], 4)) OR INT([Term Year])=INT(RIGHT([Term Parameter], 4))-1)

THEN "YES"
          ELSE "NO"
          END

Finally, I would filter on only the "YES" values in the Filter calculated field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to show data for prevous year's same term
            Muhammad Khan

Hello Benjamin

Thank you so much for your response, I tried your suggested formula but it seems that it is not solving the issue, I have attache sample workbook for your review. If you need any clarification kindly let me know.

Thanks

Muhammad

• 3. Re: How to show data for prevous year's same term
              P N

Hi Muhammad:

Please find the attached solution and look for the 3 calculated fields: 1) Term Name 2) Term Year 3) Comp.

It borrows from what Benjamin had alluded to in his reply. Since he had replied before you posted the workbook I have done some modifications to reflect the actual data.

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to show data for prevous year's same term
                Muhammad Khan

Hello P N

Thank you so much for solution. It really solved my issue. Thank you

Muhammad