2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2016 8:09 PM by Dmitry Chirkov

Any controls Server Admin can have for V10 cross-database joins?

Mark Wu

Version 10 is out yesterday. I love Tableau's path of innovations and powerful new features of v10 (custom territory, clustering, cross database joins, highlights, improved web editing, subscribe others, Desktop license reporting, etc).

Most of those features are beautiful and awesome. There is one feature (cross-database joins) that can be a game changer. I am very excited about this new capability of joining data from different data sources in row level. On the other side, I am also nerved about it since I do not know what it means to Server  processing power specially for those of us who have core-based server licenses. I did my beta and read all materials that I can find for cross-database joins. My understanding is that the joins happen on Tableau server (vs. database for same database joins). It will consume  processing power of server. Here is question list, appreciated if anyone can chime in with your insights:

1. What is the server processor that we need to watch closely to ensure cross-database joins can scale?
      2. Are there any controls for server admin to constraint the cross-database joins? For example, extract timeout is good for admin to control extract run-time. I have not seen any controls available for cross-database joins
      3. Any tips, tricks or workaround that this community can come up if v10 has no server admin controls at all for cross-database joins?
      4. Silly question - can server admin turn the cross-database joins off? I do not think that I will turn it off but what-if things out of control?
        • 1. Re: Any controls Server Admin can have for V10 cross-database joins?
          Matt Coles

What is the server processor that we need to watch closely to ensure cross-database joins can scale?

VizQLServer, Data Server (for published datasources using x-db joins), and Backgrounder (for refreshes of extracted x-db joins and rendering of Subscriptions that use them)

Are there any controls for server admin to constraint the cross-database joins? For example, extract timeout is good for admin to control extract run-time. I have not seen any controls available for cross-database joins

Not that I'm aware, no--they're constrained in the same fashion that normal connections are constrained. Who is allowed to publish, extract refresh timeouts, etc.

Any tips, tricks or workaround that this community can come up if v10 has no server admin controls at all for cross-database joins?

I've built a published datasource for myself that shows connection-level details for all content on Server. So far I've just grabbed a count of how many items are actually using x-db joins (186 workbooks of 6k total). I intend to analyze whether they're being extracted and refreshed on a schedule. I might try and blend (or join, ha!) with some other performance data we collect to see how slow the live connections run. Might try and set up a VizAlert for anyone who publishes a new x-db join connection that informs them "with great power comes great responsibility".

Silly question - can server admin turn the cross-database joins off? I do not think that I will turn it off but what-if things out of control?

Not in a supported way that I am aware of. However, searching through workgroup.yml for "DataIntegration" yields interesting results. Clearly, tweaking those settings is an "at your own risk" endeavor that I wouldn't recommend without Tableau Support ok-ing it.

For what it's worth, we actually saw a drop in CPU utilization when we upgraded to 10.0 from 9.3. I can't say that it will be the same for every environment, but it was enough to give us some breathing room and made me feel more comfortable about the new features. But it's something I do intend to keep an eye on.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Any controls Server Admin can have for V10 cross-database joins?
            Dmitry Chirkov

Hi, Mark

Now that Tableau 10 been out for couple of months - do you still feel that you need any of configuration you were looking for?

-Dmitry