4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2016 6:12 AM by Rajeev Pandey

Arrows signs appearing on a graphic represenation on dashboard

Vasanth Chenna

Hello,

We have two arrows that appear in a graphic representation in one of our dashboard views. We haven't been able to figure out how to remove these little arrows that show up.

Also we have square shaped legends in the below graphic, is it possible to change these to circle shaped legends.

Any heads-up/leads would be highly appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Arrows signs appearing on a graphic represenation on dashboard
          Rajeev Pandey

Hi Vasanth,

By looking into your image,I m getting an Idea this arrow is a part of Legends which you are using,.Try to follow the below step,

you will not see the arrow Sign

Right click on Legends and Select Arrange Items-> Select any choice based on your dashboard design

Note: There is no way to change it to circle because its a scrolling bar (as per my assumption)until and Unless it that arrow is a legend.

I can tell you to how can change the shape of the legends from square to any shape, if its required

• 2. Re: Arrows signs appearing on a graphic represenation on dashboard
            Vasanth Chenna

Hey Rajeev,

Thanks a bunch for your suggestion, that was helpful. Could you also please let me know how to change the shape of the legends from squares to circles.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,

Vasant

• 3. Re: Arrows signs appearing on a graphic represenation on dashboard
              Vasanth Chenna

Thank you Rajeev. Could you please let me know how to change the shape of

the legends from squares to circles.

Greatly appreciate your help.

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016, Rajeev Pandey <tableaucommunity@tableau.com>

• 4. Re: Arrows signs appearing on a graphic represenation on dashboard
                Rajeev Pandey

Hi bro..

Could you mark the above  answer as correct? That will let others know that the problem is solved.

Please refer my website for similar types of tricks:10 Tableau Timesavers - Tips and Tricks (Part 2) - TableauLearners TableauLearners

Creating a custom legend with shapes

Formatting is an important part of both your analysis and presentation. You can format almost everything you see on a worksheet including the fonts, shading, alignment, borders, and graph lines but sometimes tableau default behavior is a hurdle. As we all know, the default color legend in Tableau uses small squares. In many case, this can be proved as showstopper for your dashboard and even confusing if you are using other shapes in your chart. For example, if you are using a dot plot. The color legend will show squares, but every other shape in the visualization is a dot. In cases like this, Square shape doesn’t make any sense. So for getting the desired result, follow the below steps

Trick 7

Create a new worksheet with the dimension you want in the legend and use custom shapes to create your own legend. If you are using a Tableau 9.2 Version then you can use a very interesting feature "Match Mark Color” which is found on the Font drop down in the Label menu and you can also change the colors of the text to match the shapes. Then drop that sheet into your dashboard in place of the normal color legend and see the magic. For More Information, refer here

Trick 7.1

But what if you are still using lower version of Tableau say Tableau 8.3 or 9.0.

Follow the Same process as described above like Create a new worksheet with the dimension you want in the legend and use custom shapes and assigned a common shape say circle to the dimension. Do some formatting like change the “Row Divider” and “Column Divider” to “None” present in the Format border. Also format the tooltip  in such way that it should only show dimension name as below.

Trick 7.2

Then drop that sheet into your dashboard (keep it Floating), adjust the width of the sheet and put this new sheet on top of Shape legends something like below.