8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2016 6:22 AM by Steve Taylor

Need help in creating a unique heat map.

Maheshh C K

Dear Team,

I have a requirement of creating a unique heat map. I wanted the count of the entities based on the Rating1 & Rating2 (Given below the input data & the expected visualization).

The color of the each cell should be editable in the Heat Map.

Note on my trials: <<Reference Attachment :{Heat Map Question.twbx} >>

1) I tried using the text tables Reference Sheet: <<Trial1 with Text Tables>>. However I failed in the following

1. Bringing the background color of the heat map
        2. Changing the axis notation from top to bottom for Rating 1
        3. Bringing the value “Very High” for Rating 2 as the value is not available in my input.
        4. Bringing the “Rating2” to the side of the Just like Rating 1.
        5. Centering the number

So that my requirement gets satisfied with text table itself. Even though it can be done in some other way kindly let me know doable things in above queries.

2) I tried using image, but eventually I was able to plot only the different entities & not the count as you can see in the Reference Sheet: <<Heat Map Image>>

3) I also tried using scatter plot, but it didn’t work the way I wanted as I wanted x-axis & y-axis both for Rating 1 & 2 resply.

Kindly help me on my requirement perspective & on my queries with respect to point number 1 as I have just beginner in Tableau.

Input Data:

Entity

Rating1

Rating2

A

Very High

High

B

High

Medium

C

Medium

Low

D

Low

Very Low

E

Very Low

Low

F

Very High

High

G

High

Medium

H

Medium

Very Low

I

Low

Very Low

J

Very Low

Very Low

Expected Visualization:

Attachment Added : <<Heat Map - Expected.png>>

Thanks

Maheshh

• 1. Re: Need help in creating a unique heat map.
          Steve Taylor

Hello Maheshh

The way I'd do this requires some data reshaping so that you have a master sheet with every combination of Very low - Very high for each rating column then left join your entity table to that master sheet, specifying that the rating1 and rating 2 columns from both sheets need to match:

Then you can create a colour field to set the heat map up:

Then add a count of entities to the view to get the heat map.

I've attached a workbook, hope that's the answer you were looking for.

Steve

• 2. Re: Need help in creating a unique heat map.
            Maheshh C K

Dear Steve,

I should say wow. Using Bar graph as heat map. This is definitely a new thought . Thanks a lot. This answered my question.

However in the thirst of learning & making it more precisely like heat map,

1) Is there a way i can bring the Top label to down? ie rating1 & the relevant details like very high, high etc down?

2) It more looks like a bar graph than a heat map. Is there a way i can reduce white spacing between the bars for Rating2 or is it inbuilt functionality of the Tableau?

3) Is there a way i can introduce a white spacing in Rating 1 similar to that of Rating 2?

Kindly help me out!!!

Thanks

Maheshh

• 3. Re: Need help in creating a unique heat map.
              Maheshh C K

Dear Steve,

I did experiment on the point#2. I tried the size option & it worked out completely closing all the white spaces.

Is there a way for point 1 & 3 please guide me.

Thanks

Maheshh

• 4. Re: Need help in creating a unique heat map.
                Steve Taylor

Hello Maheshh

problem 3 - easily changed by left clicking on the colour button in the marks card in Sheet 1 and go to border drop down menu and set to white (it defaults to none). You can then also change all the boarders to white using the Format menu (which I have done in the attached updated workbook)

problem 1 - I can't see a way to do this in the same worksheet, there are examples of moving titles from bottom to top ( Moving Headers from Bottom to Top | Tableau Software ) but not the other way around.

To solve this I created a duplicate of your heatmap and removed the titles from Rating 1 (right click on the Rating 1 pill on the columns shelf and deselect "show header", also right click in the view where it says rating 2 and select "hide field labels for rows). Then created another sheet with Rating one on columns AND on text. Then in  dashboard you can arrange these two sheets and hide titles so that it looks like one sheet on the dashboard:

You can add in text items to the dashboard if you want to label Rating1 and Rating2.

I hope the fact that this is a workaround and not something immediately available isn't too disappointing!

Steve

• 5. Re: Need help in creating a unique heat map.
                  Maheshh C K

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your inputs. I loved the heat visualization that came up.

Also I have another question & this would be my last question on the same topic I tried creating another bar chart of the same type (Heat Map), i.e. I added another Rating3 & Rating4 to the input sheet & I wanted to see the same chart like the one that you have given me before. Basically I wanted to 2 heat maps one with Rating1 & Rating2 & the other with Rating3 & 4.

I.e

• 1 chart for Rating1 & Rating2
                    • 1 chart for Rating3 & Rating4

Result:

• Heat map with Rating1 & Rating2 got changed with respect to colors (where ever the count of entity >0 it was reflecting perfect, but wherever the count of entity=0 it never got reflected.) Attachment: <<Capture1>>
                  • Heat map with Rating3 & Rating4 coming up as expected.Attachment: <<Capture2>>

Any thoughts to it please.

Thanks

Maheshh

• 6. Re: Need help in creating a unique heat map.
                    Maheshh C K

Dear Steve,

I got the answer . Made a simple miss in my join condition.

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Thanks

Maheshh

• 7. Re: Need help in creating a unique heat map.
                      Steve Taylor

You're very welcome.

If you're happy with any responses you receive on these forums you can mark the replies "helpful" or "correct answer", that way the people answering questions get some recognition and your forum question will move from the "Not Answered" pile into the "answered" pile so when others search for a similar solution they can look through previous forum threads and seek out the answered ones.

Many thanks

Steve